Analysis of Solid Tumours with Recurrent Breakpoints in Chromosome Region 12q13–15 by Fluorescence In Situ Hybridization Using a Microclone Library
Genetic aberrations involving region ql3–15 of human chromosome 12 are frequently observed in solid tumours (Sandberg 1990; Mitelman 1991). In myxoid liposarcoma, for instance, the primary cytogenetic change is mostly the highly consistent reciprocal translocation t(12;16)(q13;p11) or the more complex three-way translocation also involving chromosome 1 (Turc-Carel et al. 1986a; Ohjimi et al. 1992). Cytogenetic analysis of lipomas, a subgroup of benign adipose tissue tumours, has revealed that in these tumours region ql3–15 of chromosome 12 is also frequently involved in reciprocal translocations; in contrast to myxoid liposarcomas, however, various chromosomes act as translocation partner (Turc-Carel et al. 1986b; Sreekantaiah et al. 1991). The same cytogenetic region of chromosome 12 is also implicated in translocations in a subclass of cytogenetically abnormal uterine leiomyomas (Pandis et al. 1991) and pleomorphic adenomas of the salivary gland (Sandros et al. 1990). Comparison of available cytogenetic data suggests that the chromosome 12 breakpoint in myxoid liposarcoma is proximal to those in the three benign tumours; this might point towards the implication of different genetic sequences. Identification and molecular characterization of the chromosome 12 breakpoints in cells of the four tumours should shed more light on this matter.
KeywordsPleomorphic Adenoma Chromosome Painting Metaphase Spread Uterine Leiomyoma Myxoid Liposarcoma
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Belge G, Kazmierczak B, Meyer-Bolte K, Bartnitzke S, Bullerdiek J (1992) Expression of SV40 T antigen in lipoma cells with the chromosomal translocation t(3;12) is not sufficient for direct immortalization. Cell Biol (Int Rep) 16:4Google Scholar
- Melzer PM, Jankowski JA, Dal Cin P, Sandberg AA, Paz IB, Coccia MA (1991) Identification and cloning of a novel amplified DNA sequence in human malignant fibrous histiosarcoma derived from a region of chromosome 12 frequently rearranged in soft tissue tumors. Cell Growth Differ 2:495–501Google Scholar
- Mitelman F (1991) Catalog of chromosome aberrations in cancer, 3rd edn. Liss, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Sandberg AA (1990) The chromosomes in human cancer and leukemia. Elsevier, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Sreekantainah C, Leong SLP, Karakousis CP, McGee DL, Rappaport WD, Villar HV, Neal D, Fleming S, Wankel A, Herringto PN, Carmona R, Sandberg AA (1991) Cytogenetic profile of 109 lipomas. Cancer Res 51:422–433Google Scholar
- Stern C, Kazmierczak B, Thode B, Rommel B, Bartnitzke S, Dal Cin P, Van de Ven W, Van den Berghe H, Bullerdiek J (1991) Leiomyoma cells with 12ql5 aberrations can be transformed in bvitro and show a relatively stable karyotype dring precrisis period. Cancer Genet Cytogenet 54:223–228PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar