Open/Closed-loop Transmit Antenna Array over Spatially Correlated Channels
In this paper, we consider some open-loop and closed-loop transmit antenna array (TAA) systems under a spatially correlated fading channel environment. It has been shown that the proposed open-loop TAA system can achieve more than 3 dB signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) performance improvement at a bit error rate (BER) of 10−1 ~ 10−2 with a TAA of 9 antenna elements. This performance has been obtained by utilizing statistical properties of spatially correlated channels (or long-term spatial channel properties). We also propose some approaches for closed-loop TAA systems with feedback of partial channel information. Generally, the performance of the closed-loop TAA system exceeds that of the open-loop TAA system. The closed-loop TAA system can exploit the trade-off between the performance and the amount of feedback.
KeywordsMicrowave Attenuation Covariance Coherence Expense
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.3GPP,“Physical layer procedures (FDD),” Tech. Rep., 3GPP,June 1999Google Scholar
- 2.S M Alamouti, “A simple transmit diversity technique for wireless communications,” IEEE Jour. Select. Areas in Comm., vol. 16, pp. 1541–1458, October 1998Google Scholar
- 4.J. Choi, H. K. Choi, H. W. Lee and C. S. Park,“An adaptive method for closed-loop trans-mit multiple antenna diversity,” in Proc. IEEE 3GWireless, June 2000, pp. 601–608Google Scholar
- 6.Duel-Hallen, S. Hu and H. Hallen, “Long-range prediction of fading signals,” IEEE Sig. Proc. Mag., vol. 17, pp. 62–92, May 2000Google Scholar
- 7.Edelman, Eigenvalues and condition numbers of random matrices, Ph.D. Dissertation, MIT, May 1989Google Scholar
- 8.R. B. Ertel, P. Cardieri, K. W. Sowerby, T. S. Rappaport and J. H. Reed, “Overview of spa-tial channel models for antenna array communication systems,” IEEE Personal Comm, pp. 10–22, February 1998Google Scholar
- 9.Goldberg and J. R. Fonollosa,“Downlink beamforming for cellular mobile communica-tions,” in Proc. IEEE VTC, pp. 632–636, Phoenix, AZ, May 1997Google Scholar
- 11.W. C. Y. Lee, Mobile Communication Engineering, New York, McGraw Hill, 1982Google Scholar
- 12.J. G. Proakis, Digital Communications 3/e, McGraw-Hill, Inc., New York, NY, 1995Google Scholar
- 13.G. G. Raleigh, S. N. Diggavi, V. K. Jones and A. Paulraj,“A blind adaptive transmit antenna algorithm for wireless communication,” in Proc. IEEE ICC, June 1995, pp. 1494–1499Google Scholar
- 15.J. S. Thompson, J. E. Hudson, P. M. Grant and B. Mulgrew,“CDMA downlink beamform-ing for frequency selective channels,” in Proc. PIMRC ‘89, B2–3, Osaka, Japan, September 1999Google Scholar
- 17.P. Zetterberg and B. Ottersten,“The spectrum efficiency of a base station antenna array system for spatially selective transmission,” in Proc. IEEE VTC, pp. 1517–1521, 1994Google Scholar