The MPEG Data Stream
The abbreviation MPEG, first of all, stands for Moving Pictures Experts Group (Fig. 3.1), that is to say MPEG deals mainly with the digital transmission of moving pictures. However, the data signal defined in the MPEG-2 Standard can also generally carry data which have nothing at all to do with video and audio and could be Internet data, for example. And indeed, throughout the world there are MPEG applications in which it would be futile to look for video and audio signals. Thus, in Wollongong, about 70 km south of Sydney in Australia, an Australian pay TV provider is operating a pure datacasting service using MPEG-2 data signals via MMDS (Microwave Multipoint Distribution System). “Austar” are here providing their customers with fast Internet links in the Mbit/s range.
KeywordsMicrowave Hexa Prefix Dock Demultiplexing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [ISO13818–1]ISO/IEC 13818–1 Generic Coding of Moving Pictures and Associated Audio: Systems, ISO/IEC, November 1994Google Scholar
- [ETS300468]ETS 300468 Specification for Service Information (SI) in Digital Video Broadcasting (DVB) Systems, ETSI, March 1997Google Scholar
- [A53]ATSC Doc. A53, ATSC Digital Television Standard, September 1995Google Scholar
- [A65]ATSC Doc. A65, Program and System Information Protocol for Terrestrial Broadcast and Cable, December 1997Google Scholar
- [REIMERS]Reimers, U.: Digitale Fernsehtechnik, Datenkompression und Übertragung für DVB. Springer, Berlin, 1997Google Scholar
- [SIGMUND]Sigmund, G.: ATM — Die Technik. Hüthig, Heidelberg, 1997Google Scholar
- [DVG]Digital Video Generator DVG, Documentation, Rohde&Schwarz, München, 2001Google Scholar
- [GRUNWALD]Grunwald, S.: DVB, Seminar Documentation, Rohde&Schwarz, Munich, 2001Google Scholar
- [FISCHER3]Fischer, W.: DVB Measurement Guidelines in Theory and Practice, Seminar Documentation, Rohde&Schwarz, Munich, 2001Google Scholar
- [FISCHER4]Fischer, W.: MPEG-2 Transport Stream Syntax and Elementary Stream Encoding, Seminar Documentation, Rohde&Schwarz, Munich, 2001Google Scholar