Friedel-Crafts reaction of an arene with succinic anhydride is followed by reduction and an additional intramolecular Friedel-Crafts reaction to give tetralone. The entire process is called the Haworth reaction.
KeywordsInorganic Chemistry Organic Chemistry Entire Process Succinic Anhydride Acylation Reduction
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
- 1.Haworth, R. D. J. Chem. Soc. 1932, 1125.Google Scholar
- 2.Agranat, I.; Shih, Y. J. Chem. Educ. 1976, 53. 488.Google Scholar
- 3.Silveira, A., Jr.; McWhorter, E. J. J. Org. Chem. 1972, 37. 3687.Google Scholar
- 5.Auger, P.; Malaiyandi, M.; Wightman, R. H.; Williams, D. T. J. Labeled. Compd. Radiopharm. 1993, 33, 263.Google Scholar
- 6.Wipf, P.; Jung, J.-K. J. Org. Chem. 2000, 65, 6319.Google Scholar
- 7.Kadam, A. J.; Baraskar, U. K.; Mane, R. B. Indian J. Chem., Sect. B 2000, 39B, 822.Google Scholar
© Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2003