Bounded Cohomology, Boundary Maps, and Rigidity of Representations into Homeo+(S1) and SU(1, n)
We define, associated to a given a representation π: Γ → H of a finitely generated group into a topological group, invariants defined in terms of bounded cohomology classes. In the case H = SU(1, n) we illustrate, among others and without proof, rigidity results which generalize a theorem of Goldman and Millson (). In the case H = Homeo+(S1), the group of orientation preserving homeomorphisms of the circle, we give a new complete proof of a rigidity result of Matsumoto (), stating that any two representations with maximal Euler number are semiconjugate.
The methods used rely on the homological approach to continuous bounded cohomology developed in and .
KeywordsManifold Stratification Topo Zucker Agram
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M. Burger and A. Iozzi, Boundary maps in bounded cohomology, Appendix to “Continuous bounded cohomology and applications”, by M. Burger and N. Monod, preprint, 2001.Google Scholar
- 2.—, Bounded cohomology and representation varieties in PSU(1, n), preprint announcement, April 2000.Google Scholar
- 3.—, Bounded cohomology and totally real subspaces in complex hyperbolic geometry, preprint, March 2001.Google Scholar
- 5.—, Continuous bounded cohomology and applications to rigidity theory, Geom. Punct. Anal. (2002), to appear.Google Scholar
- 6.J. L. Dupont, Bounds for characteristic numbers of flat bundles, Algebraic topology, Aarus 1978, Lecture Notes in Mathematics, vol. 763, Springer Verlag, 1979.Google Scholar
- 8.H. Purstenberg, Boundary theory and stochastic processes on homogeneous spaces, Harmonic analysis on homogeneous spaces, Symposia on pure and applied math. Williamstown, MA 1972, vol. 26, 1973, pp. 229–913.Google Scholar
- 10.E. Ghys, Groupes d’homéomorphismes du cercle et cohomologie bornée, The Lefschetz centennial conference, Part III, (Mexico City 1984), Contemp. Math., vol. 58, American Mathematical Society, RI, 1987, pp. 81-106.Google Scholar
- 13.W. M. Goldman, Discontinuous groups and the Euler class, Thesis, University of California at Berkeley, 1980.Google Scholar
- 16.G. A. Margulis, Free subgroups of the homeomorphism group of the circle, preprint, 2001.Google Scholar
- 19.N. Monod, Continuous bounded cohomology of locally compact groups, Lecture Notes in Math., no. 1758, Springer-Verlag, 2001.Google Scholar
- 21.W. T. van Est, Group cohomology and Lie algebra cohomology in Lie groups, I, II, Nederl. Akad. Wetensch. Proc. Series A. 56=Indag. Math. 15 (1953), 484–504.Google Scholar
- 23.R. J. Zimmer, Ergodic theory and semisimple groups, Birkhäuser, Boston, 1984.Google Scholar