Low-Dimensional Thermoelectric Materials
In Chap. 2, the thermoelectric transport coefficients (Seebeck, α, resistivity, ρ, and thermal conductivity, λ) were defined and analyzed as if they were strictly bulk quantities. This assumption is not valid if boundaries significantly affect the transport of electric current or heat, which can result from overall sample dimensions or structural features. The topic of size effects has become important in thermoelectric materials research because theoretical and experimental enhancements of the dimensionless figure of merit zT have been reported for low-dimensional structures. This area of the field is developing rapidly, and most of the work mentioned here has been done since 1990. First, we discuss, though, a few important earlier developments that comprise a useful prologue to the more recent work that we outline here.
KeywordsMolecular Beam Epitaxy Anodic Alumina Thermoelectric Material Nanowire Array Anodic Alumina Template
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 8.1H.B.G. Casimir, Physica 5, 495 (1938)Google Scholar
- 8.3H.J. Goldsmid: High Temperatures — High Pressures 1, 153 (1969)Google Scholar
- 8.6Y.F. Komnik, E.I. Bukhstab: Sov. Phys. JETP 27, 34 (1968)Google Scholar
- 8.20T.H. Geballe, G.W. Hull: Conf. De Phys. des Basses Temps. # 86, (Paris, 1955 )Google Scholar
- 8.24T.E. Whall, E.H.C. Parker: Proceedings, First European Conference on Thermoelectrics ( Peter Peregrinus, London, 1987 ) p. 51Google Scholar
- 8.29I. Yamasaki, R. Yamanaka, M. Mikami, H. Sonobe, Y. Mori, T. Sasaki: Proceedings, Seventeenth International Conference on Thermoelectrics, Baltimore (IEEE, Piscataway, New Jersey, 1998 ) p. 210Google Scholar
- 8.30R. Venkatasubramanian: Naval Res. Rev. 58, 44 (1998)Google Scholar
- 8.34T.C. Harman, D.L. Spears, M.P. Walsh: J. Electron. Mater. Lett. 28, L1 (1999)Google Scholar
- 8.Dmitri Routkevitch (Nanomaterials Research Corp.); private communicationGoogle Scholar
- 8.48A.R. Ubbelohde: Intercalated Layered Materials, Ed. by F.A. Lévyn ( Reidel, Dordrecht, 1979 )Google Scholar