A remarkable achievement of the theory of exact algorithms is that it has provided a fairly complete characterization1 of the intrinsic complexity of natural computational problems, modulo some strongly believed conjectures. Recent impressive developments raise hopes that we will some day have a comprehensive understanding of the approximability of NP-hard optimization problems as well. In this chapter we will give a brief overview of these developments.
KeywordsSuffix Alan Cali Sudan Tocol
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 19.L. Babai. Trading group theory for randomness. In Proc. 17th ACM Symposium on the Theory of Computing, pages 421–429, 1985.Google Scholar
- 29.M. Blum and S. Kannan. Designing programs that check their work. In Proc. 21st ACM Symposium on the Theory of Computing, pages 86–97, 1989.Google Scholar
- 13.S. Arora, C. Lund, R. Motwani, M. Sudan, and M. Szegedy. Proof verification and intractability of approximation problems. In Proc. 33rd IEEE Annual Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science, pages 13–22, 1992.Google Scholar
- 129.J. Hastad. Some optimal inapproximability results. In Proc. 29th ACM Symposium on the Theory of Computing, pages 1–10, 1997.Google Scholar
- 128.J. Hastad. Clique is hard to approximate within n1-E. In Proc. 37th IEEE Annual Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science, pages 627–636, 1996.Google Scholar
- 25.M. Ben-or, S. Goldwasser, J. Kilian, and A. Wigderson. Multi-prover interactive proofs: How to remove intractability. In Proc. 20th ACM Symposium on the Theory of Computing, pages 113–131, 1988.Google Scholar
- 239.R. Raz. A parallel repetition theorem. SIAM Journal on Computing, 27: 763803, 1998.Google Scholar
- 219.M. Naor, L. Schulman, and A. Srinivasan. Splitters and near-optimal de-randomization. In Proc. 36th IEEE Annual Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science, pages 182–191, 1995.Google Scholar
- 12.S. Arora and C. Lund. Hardness of approximations. In D.S. Hochbaum, editor, Approximation Algorithms for NP-Hard Problems, pages 46–93. PWS Publishing, Boston, MA, 1997.Google Scholar
- 18.G. Ausiello, P. Crescenzi, G. Gambosi, V. Kann, A. Marchetti-Spaccamela, and M. Protasi. Complexity and Approximation. Combinatorial Optimization Problems and their Approximability Properties. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1999.Google Scholar