We turn back now from the depths of interstellar space to our own Solar System, and the old question of how it came into existence. The daring thought that this question cannot be answered by the handing-down of ancient myths, but only through our own probing, was proposed in France as early as 1644 by René Descartes in his whirlpool theory. In Germany, still by 1755, Immanuel Kant had to publish the first edition of his “Allgemeine Naturgeschichte and Theorie des Himmels” anonymously, for fear of the (protestant) theologians; in it, he treated the origin of the Solar System for the first time “according to Newtonian principles”. Kant assumed a rotating, flattened primordial nebula, from which the planets and later their satellites were formed. The description offered independently somewhat later by S. Laplace in 1796 in his popular “Exposition du Système du Monde” was based on a similar hypothesis.
KeywordsSugar Chlorophyll Helium Hydrocarbon Fractionation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Atreya, S.K., Pollack, J. B., Matthews, M. S. (eds.): Origin and Evolution of Planetary and Satellite Atmospheres ( University of Arizona Press, Tucson 1989 )Google Scholar
- Dirk, S. J.: The Biological Universe ( Cambridge University Press, Cambridge 1996 )Google Scholar
- Encrenaz, T., Bibring, J.-P.: The Solar System (Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg 1995 )Google Scholar
- Jakosky, B.: Search for Life on Other Planets ( Cambridge University Press, Cambridge 1998 )Google Scholar
- Kerridge, J. F. (ed.): Meteorites and the Early Solar System ( University of Arizona Press, Tucson 1988 )Google Scholar
- Monod, J.: Chance and Necessity ( Random House, New York 1972 )Google Scholar
- Suess, H. E.: Chemistry of the Solar System. An Elementary Introduction to Cosmochemistry ( Wiley, New York 1987 )Google Scholar
- Taube, M.: Evolution of Matter and Energy on a Cosmic and Planetary Scale (Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg 1985 )Google Scholar
- Wasson, J.: Meteorites: Their Record of Early Solar-System History ( Freeman, Oxford 1985 )Google Scholar