Modelling Interpretation of the Kinetics of Metabolic Processes
In vivo NMR spectroscopy and sugars selectively enriched with 13C were used to follow the step-by-step metabolic kinetics of microorganisms. A new modelling approach is discussed for the analysis of microbial dynamics. It is based on structurally non linear compartmental models and on the dynamics of the substrate and product. This combined approach was tested with the fermentation of sugars by bacteria and yeasts. The models were fitted with experimental data to obtain the values of the kinetic constants related to the investigated metabolic path.
KeywordsBiomass Sugar Fermentation Glycerol Agar
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Bastianoni S., Gastaldelli A., Marchettini N., Renzoni D., Rossi C. and Ulgiati S. (1994), in Modelling and control in biomedical systems (B.W. Patterson ed.), IFAC, 356–357.Google Scholar
- 5.Magar M.E., (1972) Data Analysis in Biochemistry and Biophysics, Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- 6.Beechem J.M., (1992) in Methods in Enzimology, Vol. 210, (L. Brand and M.J. Johnson eds.), Academic Press, San Diego, 37–54.Google Scholar
- 10.0rskov I., 1984. Genus V. Klebsiella Trevisan 1885. In: Bergey’s Manual of Systematic Bacteriology (Krieg N.R. and Holt J.G. Eds.), Vol. 1, Williams and Wilkins, Baltimore, MD, pp.461–465.Google Scholar
- 11.Bunow B. and Knott G. (1992) MLAB, a mathematical modelling laboratory, Civilized Software Inc., Bethesda.Google Scholar
- 12.Jacquez J.A. (1996). Compartmental analysis in biology and medicine. BioMedware, Ann Arbor, Michigan, U.S.AGoogle Scholar
- 13.Odum H.T.(1972) in Systems analysis and simulation in ecology, vol.2. (B.C. Patten ed.) Academic Press, New York, 139–211.Google Scholar
- 14.Odum H.T. (1983) Systems Ecology. Wiley, New York.Google Scholar
- 15.Odum H.T., (1991) in Ecological Physical Chemistry, (C. Rossi and E. Tiezzi eds.) Elsevier Science Publisher, Amsterdam, 25–56.Google Scholar
- 16.Halvorson H.R. (1992) in Methods in Enzimology, (Brand L. and Johnson, M.J., Eds.), Vol. 210, 54–67, Academic Press, San Diego.Google Scholar