Navigation in Highly Polygon-Populated Ship Environments using the Visibility Octree
This work is focused on the interactive navigation through highly polygon-populated ship environments. A conservative visibility algorithm is presented that hierarchically computes visibility for different observer positions and stores it in a new octree based structure, the Visibility Octree (VO) The VO is used during the navigation. Its main contribution is the ability to provide an effective control over the coarseness of the visibility approximation. Some results are presented for indoor ship scenes that show that the VO is efficient on densely occluded scenes.
KeywordsVoxel Space Occlude Zone Visible Polygon Annual Conference Series Interactive Navigation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [CT96]Satyan Coorg and Seth Teller. Temporally coherent conservative visibility. In Proceedings of the Twelfth Annual Symposium On Computational Geometry,pages 78–87, New York, May 1996. ACM Press.Google Scholar
- [CT97]Satyan Coorg and Seth Teller. Real-time occlusion culling for models with large occluders. In Proceedings of the Symposium on Interactive 3D Graphics, pages 83–90. ACM Press, April 1997.Google Scholar
- [DDP96]Frédo Durand, George Drettakis, and Claude Puech. The 3D visibility complex: a new approach to the problems of accurate visibility. In Xavier Pueyo and Peter Schröder, editors, Eurographics Rendering Workshop 1996, pages 245–256. Eurographics, June 1996.Google Scholar
- [DDP97]Frédo Durand, George Drettakis, and Claude Puech. The visibility skeleton: A powerful and efficient multi-purpose global visibility tool. In Turner Whitted, editor, SIGGRAPH 97 Conference Proceedings, Annual Conference Series, pages 89–100. ACM SIGGRAPH, Addison Wesley, August 1997.Google Scholar
- [GCS91]Ziv Gigus, John Canny, and Raimund Seidel. Efficiently computing and representing aspect graphs of polyhedral objects. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 13(6):542–551,1991.Google Scholar
- [GKM93]Ned Greene, Michael Kass, and Gavin Miller. Hierarchical Z-buffer visibility. In Computer Graphics Proceedings, Annual Conference Series, 1993, pages 231–240, 1993.Google Scholar
- PD90] H. Plantinga and C. Dyer. Visibility, occlusion, and the aspect graph. International Journal of Computer Vision,5(2):137160, 1990.Google Scholar
- [SNB99]Carlos Saona-Vazquez, Isabel Navazo, and Pere Brunet. The visibility octree. A data structure for 3D navigation. Computers & Graphics(1999), accepted for publication, 1999.Google Scholar
- [Te192]Seth Teller. Visibility Computation in Densely Occluded Polyhedral Environments. PhD thesis, CS Dept., UC Berkeley, 1992.Google Scholar
- [ZMHH97]Hansong Zhang, Dinesh Manocha, Tom Hudson, and Kenneth E. Hoff III. Visibility culling using hierarchical occlusion maps. In SIGGRAPH 97 Conference Proceedings, pages 77–88. ACM SIGGRAPH, Addison Wesley, August 1997.Google Scholar