Global linear instabilities in laminar separated boundary layer flow
Solutions of the partial derivative eigenvalue problem governing threedimensional (global) linear instability in incompressible steady laminar boundarylayer flow which encompasses a recirculation bubble have been obtained. Both stationary and pairs of travelling linear instabilities have been discovered, which are distinct from known solutions of the Orr-Sommerfeld equation (OSE) or the linear parabolised stability equations (PSE) instability theories, and can both become unstable. One implication is that current laminar flow control approaches based on frequency information delivered by either the OSE or the PSE are incomplete as far as travelling disturbances are concerned and inadequate for control of unstable global stationary flow eigenmodes.
KeywordsVortex Vorticity Plague
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Hein, S., Theofilis, V., Dallmann, U. (1998) Unsteadiness and threedimensionality of steady two-dimensional laminar separation bubbles as result of linear instability mechanisms. DLR IB 223–98 A 39.Google Scholar
- 4.Theofilis, V. (1998) Linear instability in two spatial dimensions. Proc. Computational Fluid Dynamics Conf. ECCOMAS ‘88, Athens, Greece, 7–11 September 1998, 547–552.Google Scholar
- 5.Bestek, H., Gruber, K., Fasel, H. (1989) Self-excited unsteadiness of laminar separation bubbles caused by natural transition. Proc. Conf. on the Prediction and exploitation of Separated Flows, 18–20 October 1989. The Royal Aeronautical Society.Google Scholar
- 6.Rist, U., Maucher, U., Wagner, S. (1996) Direct numerical simulation of some fundamental problems related to transition in laminar separation bubbles. Proc. Computational Fluid Dynamics Conf. ECCOMAS ‘86, 319–325.Google Scholar
- 7.Theofilis, V. (1997) On the verification and extension of the Görtler-Hämmerlin assumption in three-dimensional incompressible swept attachment-line boundary layer flow. DLR IB 223–97 A 44.Google Scholar
- 8.Theofilis, V., Hein, S., Dallmann, U. (2000) On the origins of unsteadiness and three-dimensionality in laminar separation bubbles. Phil. Trans. Roy. Soc. London A (to appear).Google Scholar
- 9.Dallmann, U., Vollmers, H., Su, W.-H., Zhang, H.-Q. (1997) Flow topology and tomography for vortex identification in unsteady and in three-dimensional flows. In Proc. IUTAM Symposium on “Simulation and Identification of Organized Structures in Flows”, Lyngóy, Denmark, May 25–29, 1997. Google Scholar