Where does language come from? Did God create it, or is it a result of natural selection and fitful adaptation, as Epicurus held? Does language languish, once conceived, or does it grow and decay like living “matter”? And what did Leibnitz have in mind when calling Chinese an invention of a wise man? Was he alluding to the fact that Chinese is a tonal language and as such perhaps easier to recognize?? Whatever the answers, language lets us live the lives we love and like to talk about.
KeywordsHelium Assimilation Autocorrelation Liner Tated
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
Chapter 1 — Introduction
- 1.2M.D. Fagen (ed.): A History of Engineering and Science in the Bell System: National Service in War and Peace (1925–1975) Sect. IV. Secure Speech Transmission (pp. 291–317) (Bell Telephone Laboratories, Murray Hill, New Jersey, 1978)Google Scholar
- 1.3M.R. Schroeder: Speech and Speaker Recognition (Karger, Basel 1985)Google Scholar
- 1.7P. Marcou, New methods for speech transmission. In J. Daguet: New methods for speech transmission. In E.C. Cherry (ed.): Proc. 3rd Symp. on Info. Theory (Butterworth, London 1956)Google Scholar
- 1.9M.R. Schroeder, B.F. Logan, A.J. Prestigiacomo: New methods for speech analysis, synthesis and bandwidth compression. Proc. Stockholm Speech Comm. Seminar (Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm 1962)Google Scholar
- 1.10M.R. Schroeder: Correlation techniques for speech bandwidth compression. J. Audio Eng. Soc. 10, 163–166 (1962)Google Scholar
- 1.11M.R. Schroeder, S. Hanauer: Interpolation of data with continuous speech signals. Bell Syst. Tech. J. 46, 1931–1933 (1967)Google Scholar
- 1.13N. Guttman, J.R. Nelson: An instrument that creates some artificial speech spectra for the severely hard of hearing. Am. Ann. Deaf 112, 295–302 (1968)Google Scholar
- 1.14M.R. Schroeder: unpublished memorandumGoogle Scholar
- 1.15S.F. Boll: Speech enhancement in the 1980s: Noise suppression with pattern matching. In S. Furui, M.M. Sondhi (eds.): Advanced Speech Signal Processing (Marcel Dekker, New York 1992) pp. 309–325Google Scholar