Collateral and Capillary Formation — A Comparison
Vascular occlusive diseases are the major cause of mortality in Western civilization. The devastating consequences of ischemia and infarction could be prevented by the timely induction of collateral artery growth. Knowing the molecular mechanisms responsible for vessel growth is the basic requirement for the development of effective therapies.
KeywordsVascular Endothelial Growth Factor Plasminogen Activator Fibroblast Growth Factor Receptor Basic Fibroblast Growth Factor Collateral Artery
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Arras M, Ito WD, Scholz D, Winkler B, Schaper J, Schaper W (1998) Monocyte activation in angiogenesis and collateral growth in the rabbit hindlimb. J Clin Invest 101(l):4O-50Google Scholar
- Buschmann I, Ito W, Höfer I, Weiß G, Kostin S, Schaper J, Schaper W (1998) GM-CSF promotes collateral artery growth via prolongation of macrophage survival. J Mol Cell Cardiol 30:A126 (abstract)Google Scholar
- Deindl E, Ito W, Zimmermann R, Schaper W (1997) Increased FGFR1 expression is a prerequisite for angiogenesis and collateral growth. J Mol Med 75(5): 13 (abstract)Google Scholar
- Deindl E, Ito W, Zimmermann RJ, Schaper W (1998) VEGF, in important angiogenic factor, is not involved in arteriogenesis. J Mol Med 76(6):B24 (abstract)Google Scholar
- Folkman J (1995) Tumor angiogenesis. Saunders, PhiladelphiaGoogle Scholar
- Givol D, Yayon A (1992) Complexity of FGF receptors: genetic basis for structural diversity and functional specificity. FASEB 6:3362–3369Google Scholar
- Moscatelli D (1987) High and low affinity binding sites for basic fibroblast growth factor on cultured cells absence of a role for low affinity binding in the stimulation of plasminogen activator production by bovine capillary endothelial cells. J Cell Physiol 131(1):123–130PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ny T, Ohlsson M, Strandberg L (1988) The gene for t-PA in tissue-type plasminogen activator (t-PA). In: Kluft C (ed) Physiological and clinical aspects. CRC Press, Boca RatonGoogle Scholar