Epidemiology of Tomato Bacterial Wilt in Agreste Region of Pernambuco State, Brazil, in 1996/1997
With the objective to obtain quantitative information on the intensity of tomato bacterial wilt in the Agreste region of Pernambuco State (Brazil) 50 commercial tomato fields located in the district of Camocim de São Félix, the main fresh tomato producer in the Agreste region, were surveyed in relation to prevalence and incidence of the disease at flowering or fruiting stage. High disease prevalence (60%) was observed, with a mean disease incidence of 13.1%. In order to determine the disease progress and spatial pattern, four commercial fields were selected and plots containing aproximately 560 plants were studied. In two areas the disease progress was better represented by the monomolecular model, and in the other two by either the Gompertz or logistic models. The spatial pattern of infected plants was different among areas, and this pattern changed over time in three areas. These results indicate the epidemiological character of tomato bacterial wilt in the Agreste region of Pernambuco and emphasize the importance of using an integrated management program for this disease.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Campbell CL, Madden LV (1990) Introduction to plant disease epidemiology. John Wiley and Sons, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- IBGE. Produjo Agrícola Municipal. (1994) Recife: IBGE, p 46 – 47Google Scholar
- Kelman A, Person LH (1961) Strains of Pseudomonas solanacearum differing in pathogenicity to tobacco and peanut. Phytopathology 51:158 – 161Google Scholar
- Mariano RLR, Michereff SJ (1994) Lista comentada de bactérias fitopatogenicas registradas e/ou estudadas no Estado de Pernambuco. Fitopatología Brasileira, 19:499 – 509.Google Scholar
- Mariano RLR., Silveira EB, Michereff SJ (1997) Studies on tomato bacterial diseases in Pernambuco, Brazil. In: Proceedings of the 1st International Symposium on Tropical Tomato Diseases. ASHS Press, Alexandria, pp 156 – 159Google Scholar
- Noda H, Machado FM (1993) Progresso na seleção de progênies de tomate resistentes à murcha bacteriana através da avaliação epidemiológica da doenga. Acta Amazonica, 23:107 – 114Google Scholar
- Noda H, Von Der Pahlen A, Silva-Filho DF (1986) Avaliação da resistencia de progenies de tomate à murcha bacteriana em solo naturalmente infestado por Pseudomonas solanacearum (Smith) Dows. Revista Brasileira de Genética, 9:55 – 66Google Scholar