Automatic Control Methods in Traffic and Transportation
The paper presents some basic notions and application procedures of Automatic Control and Optimisation methodologies, and outlines current and potential applications of these methodologies to traffic and transportation systems. After definition of some basic notions and control structures, a regulation problem is presented along with possible solution methods. Practical procedures when applying automatic control and optimisation methods in real-time are discussed in some detail. A comparison of common features and differences of various network process control problems is presented before proceeding to an outline of applications of Automatic Control and Optimisation methods to various transportation domains including motorways, urban road networks, automated highway systems, rail, air, and maritime traffic. Some general conclusions and promising future research topics are also provided.
KeywordsTraffic Flow Automatic Control System Total Travel Time Motorway Network Rolling Horizon
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.B.D.O. Anderson, J.B. Moore. Linear Optimal Control. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, 1971.Google Scholar
- 5.A.E. Bryson, Jr., Y.C. Ho. Applied Optimal Control. Ginn, Waltham, Massachusetts, 1969.Google Scholar
- 12.D.E. Kirk. Optimal Control Theory. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, 1970.Google Scholar
- 14.R.E. Larson, J.L. Casti. Principles of Dynamic Programming - Part I: Basic Analytic and Computational Methods. Dekker, 1978.Google Scholar
- 15.R.E. Larson, J.L. Casti. Principles of Dynamic Programming - Part II: Advanced Theory and Applications. Dekker, 1982.Google Scholar
- 17.L. Ljung. System Identification - Theory for the User. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, 1987.Google Scholar
- 19.M. Minoux. Programmation Mathématique. Tome 1 et 2. Dunod, Paris, 1983.Google Scholar
- 20.C.H. Papadimitriou, K. Steiglitz. Combinatorial Optimization, Algorithms and Complexity. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, 1982.Google Scholar
- 22.M. Papageorgiou, editor. Concise Encyclopedia of Traffic and Transportation Systems. Pergamon Press, Oxford, 1991.Google Scholar
- 23.M. Papageorgiou. Optimierung - Statische, dynamische, stochastische Verfahren für die Anwendnung. (2nd Edition) Oldenbourg, München, 1996.Google Scholar
- 24.A.P. Sage, C.C. White. Optimum Systems Control. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, 1977.Google Scholar
- 27.H.M. Wagner. Principles of Operations Research. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, 1975.Google Scholar