Placental Blood: New Options in Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation
Placental tissue and neonatal cord have attracted the special attention of many different cultures throughout history, with some groups attributing deep religious importance to them. For example, in the nineteenth century, Indian tribes gave a gift of neonatal cord in turtle-shaped amulets to the newborns to ensure a long life.
KeywordsCord Blood Chronic Myeloid Leukemia Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation Umbilical Cord Blood Hematopoietic Progenitor Cell
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Broxmeyer HE, Hangcoc G, Cooper S, Ribeiro RC, Graves V, Yoder M, Wagner J, Vadhan-Raj S, Benninger L, Rubinstein P, Broun ER (1992) Growth characteristics and expansion of human umbilical cord blood and estimation of its potential for transplantation in adults. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 89:4109–4113PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- de La Selle V, Gluckman E, Bruley-Rosset M (1996) Newborn blood can engraft adult mice without inducing graft versus host disease across non H-2 antigens. Blood 87:3977–3983Google Scholar
- Gluckman E, Broxmeyer HE, Auerbach AD, Freidman HS, Douglas GW, Devergie A, Esperou H, Thierry D, Socie G, Lehn P, Cooper S, English D, Kurtzberg J, Bard J, Boyse EA (1989) Hematopoietic reconstitution in a patient with Fanconi anemia by means of umbilical cord blood from a HLA identical sibling. N Engl J Med 321:1174–1178PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kernan NA, Bartsch G, Ash RC, Beatty PG, Champlin R, Filipovich A, Gra-jewski J, Hansen JA, Henslee-Downey J, McCullough J, McGlave P, Perkins HA, Phillips G, Sanders J, Stroncek D, Thomas D, Blume KG (1993) Analysis of 462 transplantations from unrelated donors fascilitated by the National Marrow Donor Program. N Engl J Med 328:593–602PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Matsunaga T, Sakamaki S, Kohgo Y, Ohi S, Hirayama Y, Niitsi Y (1993) Recombinant human granulocyte colony-stimulating factor can mobilize sufficient amounts of peripheral blood stem cells in healthy volunteers for allogeneic transplantation. Bone Marrow Transpl 11:103–108Google Scholar
- Przepiorka D, Weisdorf D, Martin P, Klingemann H-G, Beatty P, Hows J, Thomas ED (1995) Prevention of graft-versus-host disease with anti-CD5 ricin A chain immunotoxin after CD3 depleted HLA-nonidentical marrow transplantation in pediatric leukemia patients. Bone Marrow Transplant 15:825–828PubMedGoogle Scholar