What can be learned from time resolved measurements on porous silicon luminescence
The transient behavior of light emission has been known for a long time; the so called phosphorescence of many organic compounds or color centers in inorganic insulators can be easily observed by the naked eye for example. Many people have played with a clock whose needles and numbers are coated with a phosphor and remember the slow vanishing of the emitted light after they have illuminated the clock for a short time. By doing that they have performed a luminescence time resolved experiment and have verified that the luminescence lifetime of this particular phosphor is of the order of an hour. Some of them may have verified that this lifetime is the same for various excitation intensities or excitation times.
KeywordsDecay Time Porous Silicon Radiative Lifetime Photoluminescence Intensity Luminescence Lifetime
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M. Inokuti and F. J. Hirayama J. Chem. Phys. 43 (1965) 1978.Google Scholar
- 3.J.C. Vial and I. Mihalcescu in Optical Properties of Low Dimensional Silicon Structures page 117, edited by D. Bensahel, L.T. Canham and S. Ossicini, Nato ASI Series, Series E: applied Sciences Vol 244, 1993, Kluwer Academic Publishers.Google Scholar
- 4.J.C. Vial, A. Bsiesy, F. Gaspard, R. Hérino, M. Ligeon, F. Muller, R. R. mestain and R.M. Macfarlane Phys Rev.B 45 (1992) 14171.Google Scholar
- 5.J.C. Vial, A. Bsiesy, G. Fishman, F. Gaspard, R. Hérino, M. Ligeon, F. Muller, R. Romestain and R.M. Macfarlane in Light Emission from Silicon edited by P.M. Fauchet, Y. Aoyagi, C. C. Tsai, MRS Symposia proceedings Vol 283(Materials Research Society, Pittsburgh, 1993 ).Google Scholar
- 7.A. Bsiesy, F. Muller, M. Ligeon, F. Gaspard, R. Hérino, R. Romestain and J.C. Vial in Light Emission from Silicon page 29, edited by J.C. Vial, L.T. Canham, W. Lang, J. Lum vol 57 N° 1–6 (1993), North Holland Publisher.Google Scholar
- 8.H. Koyama, T. Oguro, N.Koshida, Appl. Phys.Lett. 62 (1993). 3177.Google Scholar
- 9.I. Mihalcescu, R. Romestain, J.C. Vial, F. Madéore, F. Muller, E. Martin, C. Delerue, M. Lannoo and G. Allan, to be published in the proceeding of the 1994 Spring E.M.R.S. conference.Google Scholar