The Multi-Electron Problem in Molecular Physics and Quantum Chemistry
In this chapter, we shall meet up with some approaches to treating the multi- or many-electron problem in molecular physics and quantum chemistry. Among them are the Slater determinant approach and the Hartree-Fock equations to which it leads, which we will discuss for both closed and open electronic shells. An important concept is the correlation energy between electrons, and we will introduce several general methods for dealing with it.
KeywordsQuantum Number Correlation Energy Total Spin Closed Shell Schrodinger Equation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Atkins, P.W.: Solution Manual for Molecular Quantum Mechanics (Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford 1983).Google Scholar
- Haken, H.: Quantenfeldtheorie des Festkörpers, 2nd edn. (Teubner, Stuttgart 1993).Google Scholar
- McWeeny, R.: Methods of Molecular Quantum Mechanics, 2nd ed. (Academic, New York 1992).Google Scholar
- Szabo, A, Ostlund, N.S.: Modern Quantum Chemistry (McGraw-Hill, New York 1989).Google Scholar
- Wilson, S.: Electron Correlation in Molecules (Clarendon, Oxford 1984).Google Scholar