Small trees or shrubs, aromatic. Leaves alternate, spirally arranged, often distally clustered or in false whorls; margin entire; blade simple, thin coriaceous, glabrous; stipules absent. Flowers solitary, rarely 2–3 together in glomerules, axillary, supra-axillary or subterminal. Flowers small to medium-sized, white, yellow or reddish purple, bisexual, actinomorphic, hypogynous; receptacle usually short-conical; perianth segments generally 12–30 (rarely 7–33), several-seriate, the outermost ones small, bract-like, the inner ones gradually larger, lanceolate or ovate, sepaloid and then petaloid, the innermost ones often reduced in size, sometimes transitional to the stamens. Stamens few to numerous (4 to 40, rarely to 50), free, 1- to several-seriate; development centripetal; anthers basifixed, tetrasporangiate, lanceolate-oblong, opening introrse-laterally by longitudinal slits; connective slightly produced at apex; filaments subulate. Carpels 7–15 (rarely 5–21), arranged in one whorl, free, laterally compressed and attached to the receptacle; styles short, stigmatic along the upper side; ovules solitary, anatropous, bitegmic, crassinucellate, borne ventrally near the base. Fruit an aggregate of follicles. Seeds ellipsoid, laterally flattened; testa crustaceous, glossy, with a subbasal hilum; endosperm copious, oily; embryo minute, straight.
KeywordsGuard Cell Subsidiary Cell Arnold Arbor Ventral Branch Mucilage Cell
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Backer, C.A., Bakhuizen van den Brink, Jr., R. C. 1963. Flora of Java, Vol. 1. Groningen: Noordhoff.Google Scholar
- Bailey, I.W., Nast, C. G. 1948. Morphology and relationships of Illicium, Schisandra and Kadsura. I. Stem and Leaf. J. Arnold Arbor. 29: 77–89.Google Scholar
- Cronquist, A. 1981. See general references.Google Scholar
- Davis, G.L. 1966. See general references.Google Scholar
- Erdtman, G. 1952. See general references.Google Scholar
- Hutchinson, J. 1964. The genera of flowering plants, Vol. 1 Oxford Univ. Press.Google Scholar
- Keng, H. 1965. Observations on the flowers of Illicium. Bot. Bull. Acad. Sin. 6: 61–73.Google Scholar
- Prantl, K. 1891. Magnoliaceae. In: Engler, A., Prantl, K., (Eds.) Die natürlichen Pflanzenfamilien, III. 2: 1–19. Leipzig: Engelmann.Google Scholar
- Smith, A.C. 1947. The families Illiciaceae and Schisandraceae. Sargentia 7: 1–224.Google Scholar
- Takhtajan, A.L. 1980a. See general references.Google Scholar
- Wood, C.E. 1958. The genera of the woody Ranales in the southeastern United States. J. Arnold Arbor. 39: 296–346.Google Scholar