Computation of Wind-Driven Circulation in Shallow Lakes
A three-dimensional, non-stationary, shallow-water model of wind induced circulation in lakes is formulated. The finite element approach is used for spatial discretization. Uniform elements /triangular prisms/ with the simplest possible shape functions are used. Since the model is linear and has a nevolutionary form.spatial discretizationyields a linear system of ordinary differential equations. Apt implicit, one-step scheme is applied for time, integration. The obtained system of algebraic equations is solved iteratively.
Partition into elements is supported by a heuristic algorithm of surface triangulation.
KeywordsMesh Generation Finite Element Solution Time Integration Scheme Finite Element Approach Applied Finite Element
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.CIARIE T, P.G. /1978/ - The finite element method for elliptic problems. North Rolland Publ. Co., Amsterdam.Google Scholar
- 2.CONNOR, J.J., BREBBIA, C.A. /1977/ - Finite element techniques for fluid flow. Newnes - Butterworth, London.Google Scholar
- 3.CRYER, C.W. /19731-Anew class of highly-stable methods. À0-stable methods. BIT 13 153–159.Google Scholar
- 4.DAHLQUIST, G. /1971/ - Survey of stiff ordinary differential equations. Roy. inst. Tech. Stockholm, Dept, of inf. Proc., Report NA 70.Google Scholar
- 5.LINIGER, W. /1968/ - Optimization of a numerical integration method for stiff systems of ordinary differential equations. IBM Res. Rep. RC2198.Google Scholar
- 6.NEDOMA, J. /1978/–The finite element solution of parabolic equations. Aplikace matematiky, svazek, 23, 6. 6, 408–438.Google Scholar
- 7.NEDOMA, J. /1979/–the finite element solution of elliptic and parabolic equations using elmplicial isoparametric elements. R.Â.I.R.O. Numerical Analysis, 3, 3, 257–289.Google Scholar
- 8.SIMPSON, R.S. /1979/ - A survey of two dimensional finite element mesh generation. Proc. of the IX Manitoba Conf. on Num. Math, and Comp.Google Scholar
- 9.VOLCIGER, N.E., PIASKOVSKIJ, R.V. /1977/ - Te- oria miexkoi vody. Gidrometeoizdat, Leningrad. 10 YOUNG, D.M. /1971/ - Iterative solution of large linear systems. Academic Press, N.Y.Google Scholar