Finite Element Solution of the Lagrangian Equations of Unsteady Free-Surface Flows on Dry River Beds
A finite element model that solves the governing equations of a one-dimensional free-surface flow in the lagrangian form is presented. It offers the advantage of operating on a grid relating only to the initial configuration of the fluid, thus keening both trial functions and mass matrix time-independent. This technique is applied to the problem of propagation of a submersion wave on a dry river-bed.Numerical solutions are compared with analytical ones to be found in literature.
A comparison is also made,in terms of accuracy and computational effort,with a finite element model based on the eulerian formulation of the same problem.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Barr D.I.H., Dass M.M. (1980). Numerical simulation of dam-burst and reflections, with verification against laboratory data. Proc. Instn. Civ. Engrs.Part 2,69 June: 359–373.Google Scholar
- Chen C.L. (1980). Laboratory verification of a dam-break flood model, AS CE, 106, HY4: 534–556Google Scholar
- Chervet A., Dallowes P. (1970). Calcul de l’onde de submer sion consecutive a la rupture d’un barrage, Schweizerische Baureitung, 7 MaiGoogle Scholar
- Dressler R.F. (1954). Comparison of theories and experiments for the hydraulic dam-break wave. International Ass. of Scientific Hydrology, 3, 38: 319–328.Google Scholar
- Mahmood K., Yevjevich V. (1975), Unsteady flow in open channels. Water Resources Publications, P.O. Box 303, Fort Collins, Colorado 80522, USA, pag. 100 Vol. IGoogle Scholar
- Preissmann A., Gunge J.A. (1961). Calcul du mascaret sur machine electronique, Intumescences, So cieté Hydrotechnique de France, 15 juin.Google Scholar
- Rajar R. (1978). Mathematical simulation of dam-break flow, Journal of the Hydraulics Division, ASCE, 104, HY 7: 1011–1025.Google Scholar
- Sakkas G. J., Strelkoff T. (1973). Dam-break flood in aprisma tic dry channel, ASCE, 99, HY12: 2195–2216.Google Scholar
- Stoker J. J. (1957). Water Waves, Interscience publishers, Inc., New York.Google Scholar
- Strelkoff T. (1969). One-dimensional equations of open-chan nel flow. ASCE, 95, HY3: 861–876Google Scholar
- Su S.T. (1970). Geometric and frictional effects on sudden releases. ASCE, 96, HY11: 2185–2200Google Scholar
- Vasiliev O.F. (1970). Numerical solution of non-linear problems of unsteady flows in open channels, Proc. 2nd International Conference on numerical methods in fluid dynamics, Berkeley, Calif., September.Google Scholar
- Whitham G. B. (1955). The effects of hydraulic resistance in the dam-break problem. Royal Society of London, Proceedings Series A, Mathematical and Physical Science Vol. 226227.Google Scholar