Self-Organizing Feature Maps
A property which is commonplace in the brain but which has always been ignored in the “learning machines” is a meaningful order of their processing units. “Ordering” thereby usually does not mean moving of units to new places. The units may even be structurally identical; the specialized role is determined by their internal parameters which are made to change in certain processes. It then appears as if specific units having a meaningful organization were produced.
KeywordsFatigue Brittle Hexagonal Dition Sorting
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.6G.E. Schneider: In Neurosurgical Treatment in Psychiatry, Pain and Epilepsy, ed. by W.H. Sweet, S. Abrador, J.G. Martin-Rodriquez ( Univ. Park Press, Baltimore 1977 )Google Scholar
- 5.10N.V. Swindale: Proc. Roy. Soc. Edinburgh Sect. B 208, 243 (1980)Google Scholar
- 5.D.J. Willshaw, C.v.d. Malsburg: Philos. Trans. Roy. Soc. London Ser. B287Google Scholar
- 5.12T. Kohonen: In Proc. 2nd Scand. Conf. on Image Analysis, ed. by E. Oja, Simula ( Suomen Hahmontunnistustutkimuksen Seura, Otaniemi, Finland 1981 ) p. 214Google Scholar
- 5.13T. Kohonen: In Cybernetic Systems: Recognition, Learning, Self-Organization, ed. by E.R. Caianiello, G. Musso ( Research Studies Press, Ltd., Letchworth, Hertfordshire, UK 1984 ) p. 3Google Scholar
- 5.T. Kohonen: In Competition and Cooperation in Neural Nets,ed by S. Amari, M.A. Arbib, Lecture Notes in Biomath., Vol.45 (Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg 1982)Google Scholar
- 5.17T. Kohonen: In Proc. the 6th Int’l. Conf. on Pattern Recognition, ed. by M. Lang ( IEEE Computer Soc. Press, Silver Spring, MD 1982 ) p. 114Google Scholar
- 5.18D.W. DeMott: Med. Res. Eng. 5, 23 (1966)Google Scholar
- 5.19T. Kohonen, H. Riittinen, M. Jalanko, E. Reuhkala, S. Haltsonen: In Proc. 5th Int’l. Conf. on Pattern Recognition, ed. by R. Bajcsy ( IEEE Computer Society, Los Alamitos, CA 1980 ) p. 158Google Scholar
- 5.U. Grenander: Private communication (1981)Google Scholar
- 5.23A.E. Albert, L.A. Gardner, Jr.: Stochastic Approximation and Nonlinear Regression ( MIT Press, Cambridge, MA 1967 )Google Scholar
- Chapter 6Google Scholar