The ability to hyperstimulate the ovaries, retrieve ova, and fertilize them has made in vitro fertilization (IVF) a safe and effective treatment for infertility. Several tens of thousands of children have been born to couples who were unable to conceive otherwise. IVF has opened the door to several reproductive advances such as oocyte donation, embryo freezing, and assisted fertilization procedures such as the recently introduced procedure of intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI) to alleviate severe male-factor infertility. IVF also made preimplantation genetic diagnosis possible as an option to couples at risk for serious genetic disease. Rather than terminating a pregnancy after conventional prenatal diagnosis, embryo analysis permits selection of embryos without disease to be replaced in the uterus.
KeywordsPreimplantation Genetic Diagnosis Polar Body Myotonic Dystrophy Preimplantation Embryo Cleavage Stage Embryo
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 11.Nagy Z, Liu J, Janssenswillen C, Silber S, Devroey P, Van Steirteghem A (1995) Using ejaculated, fresh and frozen-thawed epididymal and testicular spermatozoa gives rise to comparable results after intracytoplasmic sperm injection. Fertil Steril 63: 808815Google Scholar
- 15.Mullis KB (1990) The unusual origin of the polymerase chain reaction. Sci Am April 1990: 36–43Google Scholar
- 16.Liu J, Lissens W, Devroey P, Van Steirteghem AC, Liebaers I (1994) Amplification of X- and Y-chromosome-specific regions from single human blastomeres by polymerase chain reaction for sexing of preimplantation embryos. Hum Reprod 9: 716720Google Scholar
- 19.Liu J, Lissens W, Silbern SJ, Devroey P, Liebaers I, Van Steirteghem A (1994) Birth after preimplantation diagnosis of the cystic fibrosis AF508 mutation by polymerase chain reaction in human embryos resulting from intracytoplasmic sperm injection with epididymal sperm. JAMA 272: 1858–1860PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.Mahadevan M, Tsilfidis C, Sabourin L et al (1992) Myotonic dystrophy mutation: an unstable CTG repeat in the 3’ untranslated region of the gene. Science 255: 12531255Google Scholar
- 24.Delhanty JDA, Griffin DK, Handyside AH, Harper J, Atkinson GHG, Pieters MHEC, Winston RML (1993) Detection of aneuploidy and chromosomal mosaicism in human embryos during preimplantation sex determination by fluorescent in situ hybridisation ( FISH ). Hum Mol Gen 2: 1183–1185Google Scholar
- 27.Harper J, Coonen E, Ramaekers F, Delhanty J, Handyside A, Winston R, Hopman A (1994) Identification of the sex of human preimplantation embryos in two hours using an improved spreading method and fluorescent in-situ hybridization ( FISH) using directly labelled probes. Hum Reprod 9: 721–724Google Scholar
- 28.Munné S, Lee A, Rosenwaks Z, Grifo J, Cohen J (1993) Diagnosis of major chromosome aneuploidies in human preimplantation embryos. Hum Reprod 8: 21852191Google Scholar
- 29.Verlinsky Y, Handyside A, Simpson JL, Edwards R, Kuliev A, Muggleton-Harris A, Readhead C, Liebaers, I, Coonen E, Plachot M, Carson S, Strom C, Braude P, Van Steirteghem A, Monk M, Ginsberg N, Pieters M, De Sutter P, Gimenez C, Kontogianni E, Matthew C, Wilton L (1993) Current progress in preimplantation genetic diagnosis. J Ass Reprod Genet 10: 353–360CrossRefGoogle Scholar