The Effects of Waves on Vortex Shedding from Cylinders
This paper describes the results of an investigation into the effects of an in-line combination of mean flow and free surface waves on the shedding of vortices behind a circular cylinder and the subsequent long term development of the wake. The investigation is carried out both numerically and by experiment. The numerical method is based on a viscous vortex (particle) method. The experimental investigation involves the towing of a cylinder through waves in a laboratory flume, and comparison of the transverse force with a quasi-steady model.
KeywordsCircular Cylinder Vortex Street Transverse Force Vortex Wake Vertical Cylinder
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Stansby PK, Smith PA Proc. 8th Int. Conf. Offshore Mech. & Artic Engg. The Hague, Vol 2 1989Google Scholar
- Graham JMR Numerical Methods for Fluid Dynamics III 1988Google Scholar
- Benson MG et al J.Fluids Structures Sept. 1989Google Scholar
- Matten RB PhD Thesis, Univ. Cambridge 1979Google Scholar
- Mercier JA PhD Thesis, Stevens Inst. Tech 1973Google Scholar
- Obasaju ED et al Int. Jnl. Offshore & Polar Engg. Vol 1 1991Google Scholar
- Graham JMR, Arkell RH, Zhou C Y Behaviour of Offshore Structures, 445 1992Google Scholar