Parathyroid Hormone-Related Protein
Parathyroid hormone-related protein (PTH-rP) is a protein with potent parathyroid hormone (PTH)-like activity which acts on PTH receptors in bone and kidney with generation of cAMP. It was initially purified from the BEN lung tumour cell line and breast and renal carcinomas associated with hypercalcaemia (Moseley et al. 1987; Burtis et al. 1987; Strewler et al. 1987). Complementary DNA (cDNA) cloned from the BEN cell line predicted a protein of 141 amino acids and molecular weight of 16 000 daltons (Suva et al. 1987). The amino-terminal region of the protein has a high degree of homology with PTH, with identity of eight of the first thirteen amino acids in both proteins (Table 1). This structural homology may explain common effects on bone resorption, adenylate cyclase stimulation and inhibition of renal phosphate reabsorption. Genomic DNA of PTH-rP was located on chromosome 12 (Mangin et al. 1988b).
KeywordsLymphoma Prostaglandin Myeloma Osteosarcoma Hyperparathyroidism
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Burtis WJ, Wu T, Bunch C, Wysolmerski JJ, Insogna KL, Weir EC, Broadus AE, Stewart AF (1987) Identification of a novel 17, 000-dalton parathyroid hormone-like adenylate cyclase-stimulating protein from tumour associated with humoral hypercalcemia of malignancy. J Biol Chem 262:7151–7156PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Mangin M, Webb AC, Dreyer BE, Posillico JT, Ikeda K, Weir EC, Stewart AF, Bander NH, Milstone L, Barton DE, Francke U, Broadus AE (1988b) Identification of a cDNA encoding a parathyroid hormone-like peptide from a human tumor associated with humoral hypercalcemia of malignancy. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 85:597–601PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Pizurki L, Rizzoli R, Moseley J, Martin TJ, Caverzasio J, Bonjour J-P (1988) Effect of synthetic tumoral PTH-related peptide on cAMP production and Na-dependent Pi transport. Am Physiol Soc 255:F957–F961Google Scholar
- Ratcliffe WA, Ratcliffe JG, Heath DA (1988) Development of a radioimmunoassay for parathyroid hormone related protein (PRP). Ann Clin Biochem 25 Supplement: 171s-172sGoogle Scholar
- Rodda CP, Kubota M, Heath JA, Ebeling PR, Moseley JM, Care AD, Caple IW, Martin TJ (1988) Evidence for a novel parathyroid hormone related protein in fetal lamb parathyroid glands and sheep placenta: comparisons with a similar protein implicated in humoral hypercalcaemia of malignancy. J Endocrinol 117:261–271PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Stewart AF, Insogna KL, Goltzman D, Broadus AE (1983) Identification of adenylate cyclase stimulating activity and cytochemical glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase stimulating activity in extracts of tumours from patients with humoral hypercalcemia of malignancy. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 80:1454–1458PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Stewart AF, Wu T, Goumas D, Burtis WJ, Broadus AE (1987) N-terminal amino acid sequence of two novel tumor-derived adenylate cyclase-stimulating proteins: identification of parathyroid hormone like and parathyroid hormone-unlike domains. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 146:672–678PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Suva LJ, Winslow GA, Wettenhall REH, Hammonds RG, Moseley JM, Diefenbach-Jagger H, Rodda CP, Kemp BE, Rodriguez H, Chen EY, Hudson PJ, Martin TJ, Wood WI (1987) A parathyroid hormone-related protein implicated in malignant hypercalcaemia: cloning and expression. Science 237:893–896PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar