Urban Agriculture as Cooperative Service and Its Contribution to Food Security – Participants and Nonparticipants Perspective
- 2k Downloads
Little research attention has been devoted to bottom of the pyramid consumers. This is surprising as services marketing may contribute to a society’s development. One approach aimed at improving the life situation of the impoverished is urban agriculture. Set in Malaysia, this study seeks to explore what discriminates urban agriculture participants from non-participants, revealing a strong association of the relationship between food security and urban agriculture as driver for participation.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Anderson, L./Ostrom, A.L./Corus, C/Fisk, R.P./Gallan, A.S./Giraldo, M./Mende, M./ Mulder, M./Rayburn, S.W./Rosenbaum, M.S./Shirahada, K./Williams, J.D. (2013): Transformative Service Research – An Agenda for the Future, in: Journal of Business Research, Vol. 66, No. 8, pp. 1203-1210.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Alexandre, V.P./Schmitt, C.J./Maluf, R.S.J. (2018): Making Rural and Urban Connections by Integrating Nutrition and Agriculture – A Case Study of Food and Nutrition Security Instruments in Brazil, in: Azeiteiro U., Akerman M., Leal Filho W., Setti A., Brandli L. (Ed.): Lifelong Learning and Education in Healthy and Sustainable Cities, Cham, pp. 155-167.Google Scholar
- Bollen, K.A. (1989): Structural Equations with Latent Variables, New York, NY.Google Scholar
- Cavusgil, S.T./Das, A. (1997): Methodological Issues in Empirical Cross-Cultural Research – A Survey of the Management Literature and a Framework, in: Management International Review, Vol. 37, No.1, pp. 71-96.Google Scholar
- Cohen, N./Reynolds, K. (2015): Resource Needs for a Socially Just and Sustainable Urban Agriculture System – Lessons from New York City, in: Renewable Agriculture and Food Systems, Vol. 30, No. 1, pp. 103-114.Google Scholar
- Drescher, A.W. (2001): Urban and Peri-Urban Agriculture – A Briefing Guide for the Successful Implementation of Urban and Peri-urban Agriculture in Developing Countries and Countries of Transition, in: The Special Programme for Food Security, Vol. 3, No. 1, pp 1-84.Google Scholar
- Dubbeling, M./De Zeeuw, H. (2011): Urban Agriculture and Climate Change Adaptation – Ensuring Food Security through Adaptation, in: Otto-Zimmermann, K. (Ed.): Resilient Cities – Cities and Adaption to Climate Change – Proceedings of the Global Forum 2010, Heidelberg u. a., pp. 441-449.Google Scholar
- Fisk, R.P.P./Anderson, L./Bowen, D. E./Gruber, T./Ostrom, A./Patrício, L./Reynoso, J./Sebastiani, R. (2016): Billions of Impoverished People Deserve to be Better Served – A Call to Action for the Service Research Community, in: Journal of Service Management, Vol. 27, No. 1, pp. 43-55.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Goldstein, M./Bellis, J./Morse, S./Myers, A./Ura, E. (2011): Urban Agriculture – A Sixteen City Survey of Urban Agriculture Practices Across the Country, https:// www.planning.org/knowledgebase/resource/-9136133/ (retrieved on 16.10.2018).
- Kang’Ethe, E.K./Grace, D./ Randolph, T.F. (2007): Overview on Urban and Peri-Urban Agriculture – Definition, Impact on Human Health, Constraints and Policy Issues, in: East African Medical Journal, Vol. 84, No. 11 Suppl, pp. 48-56.Google Scholar
- Kline R.B. (2011): Principles and Practice of Structural Equation Modeling, New York, NY.Google Scholar
- Koc, M./MacRae, R./Mougeot, L.J.A./Welsh, J. (1999): Introduction – Food Security is a Global Concern, in: Koc, M./MacRae, R./Mougeot, L.J.A./Welsh, J. (Ed.): For Hunger-Proof Cities – Sustainable Urban Food Systems, Ottawa, pp. 1-14.Google Scholar
- Litt, J.S./Soobader, M.J./Turbin, M.S./Hale, J.W./Buchenau, M./Marshall, J.A. (2011): The Influence of Social Involvement, Neighborhood Aesthetics, and Community Garden Participation on Fruit and Vegetable Consumption, in: American Journal of Public Health, Vol. 101, No. 8, pp. 1466-1473.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Lupia, F./Pulighe, G. (2015): Water Use and Urban Agriculture – Estimation and Water Saving Scenarios for Residential Kitchen Gardens, in: Agriculture and Agricultural Science Procedia, Vol. 4, No.1, pp. 50-58.Google Scholar
- Martellozzo, F./Landry, J.S./Plouffe, D./Seufert, V./Rowhani, P./Ramankutty, N. (2014): Urban Agriculture – A Global Analysis of the Space Constraint to Meet Urban Vegetable Demand, in: Environmental Research Letters, Vol. 9, No. 6, pp. 1-8.Google Scholar
- Mawoneke, S./King, B. (1998): Impact of the Urban Agriculture Research Study in Zimbabwe, https://idl-bnc-idrc.dspacedirect.org/handle/10625/22418 (retrieved on 15.06.2018).
- Mougeot, L.J. (2000): Urban agriculture – Definition, Presence, Potentials and Risks, and Policy Challenges, Cities Feeding People Series, Report 31, Ottawa.Google Scholar
- Palmer, A. (2019): Principles of Services Marketing, 7th edition, Maidenhead.Google Scholar
- Pinstrup-Andersen, P./Watson II, D.D. (2011): Food Policy For Developing Countries – The Role of Government in Global, National, and Local Food Systems, Ithaca, NY.Google Scholar
- Rezai, G./Shamsudin, M.N./Mohamed, Z. (2016): Urban Agriculture – A Way Forward to Food and Nutrition Security in Malaysia, in: Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, Vol. 216, No. 1, pp. 39-45.Google Scholar
- Roser, M./Oritz-Ospina, E. (2017): Global Extreme Poverty, https://ourworldindata.org/extreme-poverty#cross-country-correlates (retrieved on 23.07.2018).
- Taylor, J.R./Lovell, S.T. (2015): Urban Home Gardens in the Global North – A Mixed Methods Study of Ethnic and Migrant Home Gardens in Chicago, IL, in: Renewable Agriculture and Food Systems, Vol. 30, No. 1, pp. 22-32.Google Scholar