Turkey’s New Constitution-making Attempt and the Participation of Minority Organisations during the Pubic Consultation Process
In terms of its content and preparation process, the 1982 Constitution has been regarded as an obstacle to building a genuine democratic order. Its nationalist character also reinforced the status of citizenship as a national identity through articles related to language, education and cultural rights. Thus, the 1982 constitution helped to maintain the nationalisation of citizenship, which was employed as a state policy since the establishment of the Republic.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Arato, A. 2000. Civil Society, Constitution and Legitimacy, Rowman& Littlefield Publishers.Google Scholar
- Brandt, M., Cottrell, J., Ghai Y., Regan, A. 2011. Constitution-making and Reform: Options for the Process, Interpeace.Google Scholar
- Ferejohn, J., Rakove, J. and Riley, J. 2001. Constitutional Culture and Democratic Rule, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.Google Scholar
- Ferrajoli, L. 1996. “Beyond Sovereignty and Citizenship: A Global Constitutionalism” in R. Bellamy, Constitutionalism, Democracy and Sovereignty, Avebury, AldershotGoogle Scholar
- Grimm, D. 2005. “The Constitution in the Process of Denationalization” Constellations Volume 12, No 4, Blackwell, OxfordGoogle Scholar
- Machnyikova, Z. and Hollo, L. 2010. “The Principle of Full and Effective Equality and Political Participation”, in M. Weller and K. Nobbs (ed), Political Participation of Minorities A Commentary on International Standards and Practice, Oxford University PressGoogle Scholar
- Moehler, D. 2008. Distrusting Democrats: Outcomes of Participatory Constitution Making, The University of Michigan Press, Ann Arbor.Google Scholar
- Rousseau, J.J. 1762. Social Contract or Principles of Political Right, translated by G. D. H. Cole, public domainGoogle Scholar
- Selassie, B. 2002. “The Eritrean Experience in Constitution Making: The Dialectic of Process and Substance” in A. Reynolds (ed), The Architecture of Democracy: Constitutional Design, Conflict Management, and Democracy, Oxford Scholarship OnlineGoogle Scholar
- Verstichel, A. 2009.Participation, Representation and Identity, Intersentia, OxfordGoogle Scholar
- Weller, M. 2010. “Minority Consultative Mechanisms: Towards Best Practice” in in M. Weller and K. Nobbs (ed), Political Participation of Minorities A Commentary on International Standards and Practice, Oxford University PressGoogle Scholar
- Wiener, A. 1998. European Citizenship Practice, Westview Press, Oxford TEPAV, Anayasa Çalışmaları, http://www.tepav.org.tr/tr/calismalarimiz/s/360, viewed 4.5.2014