Yi Yi: Nostalgia upon diaspora
Edward Yang’s last piece of filmic work before he passed away Yi Yi (A one and a Two) could be seen as the re-expression of Yang’s perception of city life. In the film he combines the time-space (in German: Zeitraum) with the alternation of characters’ encounters. At the same time he probes into the relation between humans and outer physical spaces and outlines the social cultural identity.
KeywordsResidential Building Main Sequence Human Character Taipei City Narrative Structure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Baláz, B. 1952. (E. Bone, Trans.). Theory of the film. London: Dennis Dobson.Google Scholar
- Baltruschat, A. 2010. The interpretation of films based on the documentary method. In Qualitative analysis and documentary method in international educational research, Eds. R. Bohnsack, N. Pfaff, & W. Weller, 311-342. Opalden & Farmington Hills: Barbara Budrich Publishers.Google Scholar
- Benjamin, W. 1968. The work of art in the age of mechanical reproduction. In Illuminations, Ed. A. Hannah, (Zohn, H. Trans.), 211-244. London: Fontana. (Original work published 1936)Google Scholar
- Bohnsack, R., Loos, P., & Przyborski, A. 2002. ‘Male honor’: Towards an understanding of the construction of gender relations among youths of Turkish origin. In Gender in Interaction, Eds. B. Baron, & H. Kotthoff, 175-207. Amsterdam/Philadelphia: John Benjamins Publishing Company.Google Scholar
- Bohnsack, R. 2003. Qualitative Methoden der Bildinterpretation. Zeitschrift für Erziehungswissenschaft 5(2): 159-172.Google Scholar
- Bohnsack, R. 2008. The interpretation of pictures and the documentary method. Forum Qualitative Sozialforschung / Forum: Qualitative Social Research 9(3): Art. 26,http://nbn-resolving.de/urn:nbn:de:0114-fqs0803267. Retrieved 20. July,2013.
- Bohnsack, R. 2009. Qualitative Bild - und Videointerpretation: Die ducumentarische Method. Opladen & Farmington Hills: Verlage Barbara Budrich.Google Scholar
- Cassirer, E. 1996. The metaphysics of symbolic forms. In The philosophy of symbolic Forms, Vol. 4, Eds. J.M. Krois, & D.P. Verene (Krois, J.M. Trans.). New Haven: Yale University Press.Google Scholar
- Collier, J. 1973. Alaskan Eskino education: A film analysis of cultural confrontation in the schools. New York: Holt, Rinehart and Winston.Google Scholar
- Hall, S. 1990. Cultural identity and diaspora. Identity: Community, Culture, Difference 2: 222-237.Google Scholar
- Harvey, D. 1990. The Condition of postmodernity: An enquiry into the origins of cultural change. Cambridge: Blackwell.Google Scholar
- Jacobs, J. 1961. The death and life of great American cities. New York: Random House.Google Scholar
- Li, Y. 2005. Constructive community aesthetics: Walking to the poetic space of Taiwan collective memory. Journal of Environment and Art 3: 1-12.Google Scholar
- Lynch, K. 1960. The image of the city. Cambridge: The Technology Press and Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- Natter, W. 1994. The city as cinematic space: Modernism and place in Berlin, symphony of a city. In Place, power, situation and spectacle, Eds. S. Aitkin & L. Zonn, 203-227. Maryland & London: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers.Google Scholar
- Ong, A. 1999. Flexible citizenship: The cultural logics of transnationality. Durham & London: Duke University Press.Google Scholar
- Wollen, P. 1972. Signs and Meaning in the Cinema. London: Secker and Warburg.Google Scholar
- Zhang, L. 2001. The more I shot, the more I am close to Taipei: Interview with Edward Yang about his new film Yi Yi. Look 62: 82-85.Google Scholar