“Yucca Mountain is Dead”
The United States faces unique and complex challenges in relation to the management of its large volume of high-level radioactive waste (HLW). This is due in part to the especially long history and large-scale nature of the country’s nuclear research and power generation programs. Radioactive waste has been generated for more than half a century in connection with both civilian and military activities (and has been managed under a bifurcated system of separate civilian and military management procedures).
KeywordsInternational Atomic Energy Agency Nuclear Waste Spend Fuel Nuclear Regulatory Commission Savannah River Plant
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- AllGov.com (2013). Office of Civilian Radioactive Waste Management. http://www.allgov.com/departments/department-of-energy/office-of-civilian-radioactive-waste-management?agencyid=7408, last accessed 25 August 2013.
- Associated Press (1988, February 13). Nevada County is Held Illegal. The New York Times. 1988. http://www.nytimes.com/1988/02/13/us/nevada-county-is-held-illegal.html, last accessed 6 June 2013.
- Blue Ribbon Commission on America’s Nuclear Future (BRC) (2012). Disposal Subcommittee Report to the Full Commission – Updated Report. http://cybercemetery.unt.edu/archive/brc/20120620220845/ http://brc.gov/sites/default/files/documents/disposal_report_updated_final.pdf, last accessed 24 August 2013.
- International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) (2010a). United States of America 2008 – Laws/Regulations. http://newmdb.iaea.org/admin/Reports/Published/Laws.aspx?Pub=1&IsoCode =US&PeriodID=8&ByCountry=US&ByYear=, last accessed 5 October 2013.
- IAEA (2010b). United States of America 2008 – Policy Survey. http://newmdb.iaea.org/admin/Reports/Published/Policies.aspx?Pub=1&IsoCode=US&PeriodID=8&ByCountry=US&ByYear=, last accessed 25 August 2013.
- IAEA (2010c). United States of America 2008 – Regulators. http://newmdb.iaea.org/admin/Reports/Published/Regulators.aspx?Pub=1&IsoCode=US&PeriodID=8&ByCountry=US&ByYear=, last accessed 23.08.2013.
- IAEA (2013a). Profiles: United States of America. http://newmdb.iaea.org/profiles.aspx?ByCountry=US, last accessed 5 October 2013.
- IAEA (2013b). United States of America – Policy Survey, in: http://newmdb.iaea.org/admin/Reports/Published/Policies.aspx?Pub=1&IsoCode=US&PeriodID=8&ByCountry=US&ByYear=, last access 25 August 2013.
- Manaugh, G. (2009). One Million Years of Isolation: An Interview with Abraham Van Luik. BLDG BLOG. http://bldgblog.blogspot.de/2009/11/million-years-of-isolationinterview.html, last accessed 22 August 2013. Nuclear Waste Policy Act of 1982. 96 Statutes at Large 2201, 42 U.S. Code 10101 et seq.
- O'Keefe, W. (2013). Yucca Mountain and the Rule of Law. FuelFix. http://fuelfix.com/blog/2013/08/16/yucca-mountain-and-the-rule-of-law/, last accessed 15 August 2013.
- Patel, P., and Ewing, R. (2013). United States launches new direction to manage nuclear waste. MRS Bulletin 38, No. 03 (2013): 206-207.Google Scholar
- U.S. Court of Appeals District of Columbia Circuit (2013). No. 11-1271. Decided August 13, 2013. http://www.cadc.uscourts.gov/internet/opinions.nsf/bae0cf34f762ebd985257bc6004deb18/$file/11-1271-1451347.pdf, last accessed 6 October 2013.
- U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) (2002). Recommendation by the Secretary of Energy Regarding the Suitability of the Yucca Mountain Site for a Repository Under the Nuclear Waste Policy Act of 1982. http://web.archive.org/web/20080917165343/, last accessed 23 August 2013.
- U.S. Department of Energy (2010). U.S. Department of Energy's Motion to Withdraw. http://energy.gov/sites/prod/files/edg/media/DOE_Motion_to_Withdraw.pdf, last accessed 23 August 2013.
- U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) (2011): Fact Sheet on Nuclear Insurance and Disaster Relief Funds. http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/factsheets/funds-fs.html, last accessed 25 August 2013.
- NRC (2012). Fact Sheet on Storage of Spent Nuclear Fuel. http://www.nrc.gov/readingrm/doc-collections/fact-sheets/storage-spent-fuel-fs.html, last accessed 4 October 2013.
- NRC (2013). Spent Fuel Storage in Pools and Dry Casks – Key Points and Questions & Answers. http://www.nrc.gov/waste/spent-fuel-storage/faqs.html, last accessed 4 October 2013.
- U.S. Office of Management and Budget (OMB) (2009). A New Era of Prosperity – Renewing America’s Promise. http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/omb/assets/fy2010new era/ A_New_Era_of_Responsibility2.pdf, last accessed 25 August 2013.
- U.S. Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works Majority Staff (2006). Yucca Mountain: The Most Studied Real Estate on the Planet – Report to the Chairman Senator James M. Inhofe.Google Scholar
- Velotta, R. N. (2013, 22 August). Reid: Obamacare isn’t perfect, but it’s good; Yucca mountain is dead. Las Vegas Sun. http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2013/aug/21/reid-obamacare-isnt-perfect-its-good-yucca-mountai/, last accessed 23 August 2013.