Foreword: Reflections on Opportunities and Challenges of Skills Development in India
India, with a population of 1.2 billion and a workforce of more than 500 million, has maintained a stable Gross Domestic Product (GDP) growth rate until 2008 when the global financial crisis hit many countries worldwide. The economy has shown signs of accelerated GDP growth up to 7.5% in the last quarter of 2015, a striking development for one of the world’s fastest growing large economy, according to the Financial Express (2015). This impressive growth of the economy has fuelled a surge in the demand for skilled workers in India in spite of severe skills shortages in the organised and unorganised sectors.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chenoy, D. (2012): Skill Development in India – A Transformation in the Making. In: Skill Develop-ment in India. Pp.199–207. URL: http://www.idfc.com/pdf/report/2012/Chapter_18.pdf.
- Financial Express (2015): Indian Economy to grow at 7.5% in 2015– Moody’s. URL: http://www.fi-nancialexpress.com/article/economy/indian-economy-to-grow-at–7–3-in–2015-moodys-analyt-ics/64449/.
- Government of India (GoI) (2009): National Policy on Skill Development. URL: http://la-bour.nic.in/upload/uploadfiles/files/NationalSkillDevelopmentPolicyMar.pdf.
- GoI (2011): Human Development. In: Economic Survey 2011–2012. Pp. 301–336. URL: http://indiab-udget.nic.in/budget2012–2013/es2011–12/echap–13.pdf.
- GoI (2015): Minister of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship Shri Rajiv Pratap Rudy Launches Human Resource and Skill Requirement Reports for 24 Priority Sectors. Press Information Bureau. URL: http://pib.nic.in/newsite/PrintRelease.aspx?relid=118098.
- Jamal, T. and Mandal, K. (2013): Skill Development mission in vocational areas – mapping govern-ment initiatives. In: Current Science, Volume 104, No. 5, pp. 590–595.Google Scholar
- Mehrotra, S. (2012): India’s Skill Challenge: Reforming the Vocational Training System to realize the Demographic Dividend. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Majumdar, Shyamal. (2008): Workforce Development in India: Policies and Practises. Tokyo: Asian Development Bank Institute.Google Scholar
- UNESCO (several years): General information. URL: www.unesco.org