Foreword: Reflections on Opportunities and Challenges of Skills Development in India
India, with a population of 1.2 billion and a workforce of more than 500 million, has maintained a stable Gross Domestic Product (GDP) growth rate until 2008 when the global financial crisis hit many countries worldwide. The economy has shown signs of accelerated GDP growth up to 7.5% in the last quarter of 2015, a striking development for one of the world’s fastest growing large economy, according to the Financial Express (2015). This impressive growth of the economy has fuelled a surge in the demand for skilled workers in India in spite of severe skills shortages in the organised and unorganised sectors.
KeywordsGross Domestic Product Skill Development Demographic Dividend Decent Work Financial Express
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chenoy, D. (2012): Skill Development in India – A Transformation in the Making. In: Skill Develop-ment in India. Pp.199–207. URL: http://www.idfc.com/pdf/report/2012/Chapter_18.pdf.
- Financial Express (2015): Indian Economy to grow at 7.5% in 2015– Moody’s. URL: http://www.fi-nancialexpress.com/article/economy/indian-economy-to-grow-at–7–3-in–2015-moodys-analyt-ics/64449/.
- Government of India (GoI) (2009): National Policy on Skill Development. URL: http://la-bour.nic.in/upload/uploadfiles/files/NationalSkillDevelopmentPolicyMar.pdf.
- GoI (2011): Human Development. In: Economic Survey 2011–2012. Pp. 301–336. URL: http://indiab-udget.nic.in/budget2012–2013/es2011–12/echap–13.pdf.
- GoI (2015): Minister of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship Shri Rajiv Pratap Rudy Launches Human Resource and Skill Requirement Reports for 24 Priority Sectors. Press Information Bureau. URL: http://pib.nic.in/newsite/PrintRelease.aspx?relid=118098.
- Jamal, T. and Mandal, K. (2013): Skill Development mission in vocational areas – mapping govern-ment initiatives. In: Current Science, Volume 104, No. 5, pp. 590–595.Google Scholar
- Mehrotra, S. (2012): India’s Skill Challenge: Reforming the Vocational Training System to realize the Demographic Dividend. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Majumdar, Shyamal. (2008): Workforce Development in India: Policies and Practises. Tokyo: Asian Development Bank Institute.Google Scholar
- UNESCO (several years): General information. URL: www.unesco.org