Retailing in Slovenia: Current Landscape and Trends
The Slovenian retail market is one of the most concentrated retail markets in Europe. However, the large market power that large retailers exercised in the past has recently dissipated. Deteriorating macroeconomic conditions and changes in consumer behaviour have profoundly affected retail landscape and forced leading retailers to adjust their business strategies.
We begin this country report with a brief sketch of the current economic conditions and the structure of retail industry. The industry is presented through the description of major retailers, distinguishing among food, non-food, and non-store retailing. Next, we turn to recent changes in the retail market brought about by two major forces: economic recession and technological advances, both of which have led to substantial shifts in final consumers’ behaviour. Finally, we provide an overview of strategy responses designed by retailers to counteract these challenges.
KeywordsSlovenia, food retail, non-food retail, consumer behaviour, economic recession, multichannel retailing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- AC Nielsen Retail Census (2010), AC Nielsen.Google Scholar
- Bajde, J. (2011): Bližina kljucno merilo pri izbiri trgovine, Gfk Orange, October 2011.Google Scholar
- Big Bang (2013): www.bigbang.si/, assessed on April 6, 2014.
- Business Tendency (2013): Some important statistics on Slovenia, Vol. VIII, No. 11/2013. Statistical office of the Republic of Slovenia.Google Scholar
- Competition Protection Office of Republic of Slovenia: Decisions 2007–2010, www.varstvokonkurence.si/, assessed on April 6, 2014.
- Consumer Barometer (2013): www.consumerbarometer2013.com/, assessed on April 6, 2014.
- Consumer Lifestyles in Slovenia (2012), Euromonitor International.Google Scholar
- Consumer Opinon Survey (2013), Statistical office of the Republic of Slovenia, December 2013.Google Scholar
- Cvelbar, M. (2013): Netretail Holding odslej 100% lastnik Mimovrste, in: Finance, 3. Dezember 2013.Google Scholar
- Doing Business in Slovenia (2013), Slovenian Business Portal.Google Scholar
- Emerging Markets: Retail and Shopper Trends 2005 (2005), AC Nielsen.Google Scholar
- Engrotuš (2013): www.tus.si/, assessed on April 6, 2014.
- Engrotuš Revised Annual Report 2012.Google Scholar
- Eurospin (2013): www.eurospin.it/, assessed on April 6, 2014.
- Eurostat (2014): European Commission, Eurostat Statistics: http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/portal/page/portal/statistics/themes, assessed on April 6, 2014.
- Excessive deficit procedure report (2013): Statistical office of the Republic of Slovenia, from October 2013. GfK Shopper Monitor 2012.Google Scholar
- Global Powers of Retailing (2013), Deloitte LLP.Google Scholar
- Gorenjc, T. (2013): Consumer barometer za Slovenijo, www.w3b.si/consumer-barometer-zaslovenijo.html, accessed on December 28, 2013.
- Gross margin on goods in retail trade (2012): Statistical office of the Republic of Slovenia, from September 2012.Google Scholar
- Gvin.com (2013): www.gvin.com/, assessed on April 6, 2014.
- Hofer (2013): www.hofer.si/, assessed on April 6, 2014.
- Hofer Revised Annual Report 2012.Google Scholar
- Hren et al. (2011): To Slovenia for Its 20th Birthday, http://www.stat.si/doc/pub/ANGL–20-let.pdf, accessed on October 25, 2013.
- IGD (2007): Competition and Collaboration: Utopia or Reality. Presentation by C. Riverain at forum "Vertikalni odnosi v agroživilski verigi – vpliv konsolidacije trgovinskega sektorja" on September 23, 2007.Google Scholar
- Intersport (2013): www.intersport.si/, assessed on April 6, 2014. Intersport Annual Report 2012.
- Jahn, M. (2013): Stationär versus Online? (Stationary versus Online), GfK White Paper, from September 2, 2013.Google Scholar
- Južnic J. (2014): Nakupovalne navade Slovencev (Buying Habbits of Slovenian Consumers), GfK Orange, from April, 2014.Google Scholar
- Key European retail data (2010), Gfk GeoMarketing.Google Scholar
- Križnik, B. (2013): Slabo leto za trgovino, napovedi pa nic boljše, in: Delo, from December 30, 2013.Google Scholar
- Lidl (2013): www.lidl.si/, assessed on April 6, 2014. Lidl Annual Report 2012.
- Mercator (2013): www.mercator.si/, assessed on April 6, 2014. Mercator Annual Reports 2010–2012.
- Merkur (2013): www.merkur.si/, assessed on April 6, 2014. Merkur Annual Report 2012.
- Mihelic, K.K.; Lipicnik, B. (2010): Corporate managers and their potential younger successors: an examination of their values, in: Journal for East European Management Studies, Vol. 15, No. 4, pp. 288–311.Google Scholar
- Mimovrste (2013): www.mimovrste.si/, assessed on April 6, 2014.
- Mimovrste (2013a): Mimovrste. Presentation at Strategic Trade Conference, from October 23, 2013, Brdo, Slovenia. Mimovrste Annual Report 2012.Google Scholar
- Modiana (2013): www.modiana.si/, assessed on April 6, 2014.
- Modiana Annual Report 2012.Google Scholar
- Nielsen Shopper Trends, 2010–2013. Nielsen Global Omnibus Consumer Confidence Survey 2013.Google Scholar
- Non-Grocery Retailers in Slovenia (2013), Euromonitor International.Google Scholar
- Non-Store Retailing in Slovenia (2013), Euromonitor International.Google Scholar
- Pavlovcic, L. (2013): Igor Mervic: “Rad bi, da ta država postane normalna.”, in: Delo, from November 23, 2013.Google Scholar
- Potocnik, V.; Hrastelj, T.; Dmitrovic, T.; Makovec Brencic, M. (1995): Strategija razvoja slovenske trgovine (Strategy for Development of the Slovenian Trade). Slovenian Chamber of Commerce, Trade Association, Ljubljana.Google Scholar
- PwC (2012): Demystifying the online shopper: 10 myths of multichannel retailing.Google Scholar
- Rapid reports (2008): Distributive trade and other service activities, November 2008, No. 47, Statistical office of the Republic of Slovenia.Google Scholar
- Rebernik, B. (2012): Vsak sedmi Slovenec vecinoma nakupuje v diskontu, in: Moje finance, July 2012, pp. 86–88.Google Scholar
- Research Monitor (2008): Slovenia’s top retailer a potential acquisition target, Euromonitor International, from November 12, 2008.Google Scholar
- Retail Trade Monitor (2013), Gfk: www.gfk.com/, assessed on April 6, 2014.
- Retailing in Slovenia (2013), Euromonitor International.Google Scholar
- RIS (2013), Raba interneta v Sloveniji.Google Scholar
- Slovenia in Figs. 2010–2013, Statistical office of the Republic of Slovenia.Google Scholar
- Slovenian Chamber of Commerce (2013): Analiza poslovanja v trgovini v primerjavi s celotnim gospodarstvom v RS (Performance Analysis of Trade Sector Compared to Economy of Republic of Slovenia).Google Scholar
- Slovenian Chamber of Commerce (2013a): Indeksi prihodka (Turnover Indices).Google Scholar
- Slovenian Economic Mirror (2014), Institute of macroeconomic analysis and development, press release, from April 9, 2014.Google Scholar
- Spar Slovenija (2013): www.spar.si/, assessed on April 6, 2014.
- Spar Annual Report 2012.Google Scholar
- Spar International (2013): www.spar-international.com/, assessed on April 6, 2014.
- Stilago (2013): www.stilago.com/, assessed on April 6, 2014.
- Stil2Go (2013): www.stil2go.si/, assessed on April 6, 2014.
- Studio Moderna (2013): www.studio-moderna.com/, assessed on April 6, 2014.
- Studio Moderna Revised Annual Report 2012.Google Scholar
- The World Factbook (2013), CIA.Google Scholar
- TOP 101 (2013): Liga najuspešnejših, Finance.Google Scholar
- Trženjski monitor [Marketing monitor], 2009–2014, Društvo za marketing Slovenije.Google Scholar
- Ugovšek, J.; Sovdat, P. (2013, October 1): Diskontni trgovci povecali prihodke za petino, in: Finance, No. 189, pp. 2–3.Google Scholar
- UMAR (2013): Autumn Forecast of Economic Trends 2013, Institute of macroeconomic analysis and development.Google Scholar
- UMAR (2104): Spring Forecast of Economic Trends 2014, Institute of macroeconomic analysis and development.Google Scholar
- Vodlan, M.; Vida, I. (2008): Multinationals in Central and Eastern Europe: a case study of international expansion by a Slovenian retailer, in: Swoboda, B.; Morschett, D.; Rudolph, T.; Schnedlitz, P.; Schramm-Klein, H. (eds.): European Retail Research, Vol. 22, pp. 137–157.Google Scholar