Antecedents of Customer Behavioral Intentions for Online Grocery Shopping in Western Europe
Online grocery shopping is becoming increasingly integrated into our daily lives. This study aims to identify factors of Customer Behavioral Intentions for shopping in an online grocery store and evaluate their influence. An online survey was conducted among English-speaking consumers in Western Europe, mostly U.K. and the Netherlands. Results show that Time Savings is the most critical construct, while Product Quality ranks second and Service Quality ranks third. No influence was found for eBusiness Quality, which shows there are differences between Western Europe and U.S. online grocery markets. Implications are provided.
KeywordsCustomer Behavioral Intentions, online grocery shopping, Western Europe
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Boyer, K. K.; Frohlich, M. T.; Hult, G. T. (2005): Extending the Supply Chain: How Cutting- Edge Companies Bridge the Critical Last Mile into Customers Homes, New York.Google Scholar
- Chin, W. W. (1998): The partial least squares approach to structural equation modeling, in: Marcoulides, G. A. (ed.): Modern Methods for Business Research, pp. 295–336.Google Scholar
- Chin, W. W.; Newsted, P. R. (1999): Structural equation modeling analysis with small samples using partial least squares, in: Hoyle, R. H. (ed.): Strategic for Small Sample Research, pp. 307–341.Google Scholar
- Cho, Y. C. (2010): Assessing customer satisfaction and acceptance on perishable goods in the “telepresent” environments, in: Journal of Business & Economics Research, Vol. 8, No. 9, pp. 23–36.Google Scholar
- Chu, J.; Arce-Urriza, M.; Cebollada-Calvo, J.-J.; Chintagunta, P. K. (2010): An empirical analysis of shopping behavior across online and offline channels for grocery products: The moderating effects of household and product characteristics, in: Journal of Interactive Marketing, Vol. 24, No. 4, pp. 251–268.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- DEFRA (2007): Report of the Food Industry Sustainability Strategy Champions’ Group on Food Transport, London.Google Scholar
- Drake, J. (2001): What consumers want: Price? Convenience? Cleanliness? Great product variety? In: Canadian Grocer, Vol. 115, No. 6, pp. 33–37.Google Scholar
- Dunn, S. C.; Seaker, R. F.; Waller, M. A. (1994): Latent variables in business logistics research: Scale development and validation, in: Journal of Business Logistics, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 145–172.Google Scholar
- Huang, Y. K.; Kuo, Y. W.; Xu, S. W. (2009): Applying importance-performance analysis to evaluate logistics service quality for online shopping among retailing delivery, in: International Journal of Electronic Business Management, Vol. 7, No. 2, pp. 128–136.Google Scholar
- IGD (2013): Online grocery retailing in France and Germany to double by 2016 http://www.igd.com/Media/IGD-news-and-press-releases/Online-Grocery-Retailingin-France-and-Germany-to-Double-by–2016/,assessed on November 14, 2013.
- Nunnally, J. C. (1978): Psychometric Theory, New York.Google Scholar
- Porter, M. E. (2001): Strategy and the Internet, in: Harvard Business Review, Vol. 79, No. 3, pp. 63–78.Google Scholar
- Quader, M. S.; Quader, M. R. (2008): The utilization of e-commerce by traditional supermarkets in the UK through strategic alliances with internet based companies, in: Journal of Service Research, Vol. 8, No. 1, pp. 177–211.Google Scholar
- Ramachandran, K. K.; Karthick, K. K.; Kumar, M. S. (2011): Online shopping in the UK, in: International Business & Economics Research Journal, Vol. 10, No. 12, pp. 23–36.Google Scholar
- Ringle, C. M.; Wende, S.; Will, S. (2005): Smart PLS 2.0 (M3) Beta, Hamburg, http://www.smartpls.de, assessed on November 14, 2013.
- Rucci, A. J.; Kirn, S. P.; Quinn, R. T. (1998): The employee-customer-profit chain at Sears, in: Harvard Business Review, Vol. 76, pp. 82–97.Google Scholar
- Schmidt, M. J.; Hollensen, S. (2006): Marketing Research: An Inernational Approach, Harlow, Essex.Google Scholar
- Skeels, M. M.; Grudin, J. (2009): When social networks cross boundaries: A case study of workplace use of Facebook and LinkedIn, in: Proceedings of the ACM 2009 International Conference on Supporting Group Work, pp. 95–104.Google Scholar
- Weyer, J. (2008): SimonDelivers calls it quits, http://www.downtownjournal.com/index.php?&story=11957&page=65&category=54, assessed on August 9, 2012.
- Yahoo Finance (2012): Industry Browser – Services – Grocery Stores – Company List http://biz.yahoo.com/p/734conameu.html, assessed on April 17, 2012.
- Yu, T.-K.; Wu, G.-S. (2007): Determinants of Internet shopping behavior: An application of reasoned behaviour theory, in: International Journal of Management, Vol. 27, No.4, pp. 744–762.Google Scholar