A scientific editor’s support tool: Design, analysis and value
This article addresses the requests for an online tool to aid publishers of scientific journals in their work to pre-filter the mass of incoming papers for scientific quality. As a first step the Hamburg EERQI group has analyzed the process of scientific refereeing by developing a detailed questionnaire and asking a group of referees to re-referee a large, preselected stack of previously published scientific papers in educational research (see Gogolin/Stumm in this volume). We proceeded to extract information about the refereeing process from the wealth of statistical data gathered in their survey: We used a linear weighted combination of the detailed accumulated answers, here called intrinsic parameters, to determine the best fit to the overall judgment of the referees on a paper. That is, we try to compare the contributions of the individual aspects to the whole.
KeywordsSearch Engine Educational Research Citation Index Scientific Paper Intrinsic Parameter
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Hilf, Eberhard R., Kappenberg, Bernd, and Roosendaal, Hans E, (2008): Author Identification: The benefit of being able to identify researchers uniquely; volume 5, page 5-8, 2008; The Euroscientist http://www.euroscience.org/author-identification,28115,en.html
- Hilf, Eberhard R. (2003): Report on the IUPAP Workshop on Scientific Misconduct and the role of Physics Journals in its investigation and Prevention; at: EPS European Physical Society, Mulhouse, FR http://www.isn-oldenburg.de/~hilf/vortraege/london03/report2EPS.pdf
- Hilf, Eberhard R. (2003): Report on the IUPAP Workshop on Scientific Misconduct and the role of Physics in its Investigation and Prevention; Oldenburg; http://www.isn-oldenburg.de/~hilf/vortraege/london03/london03-isntalkprint.html
- IUPAP (2003): Outcomes: International Guidelines for Ethical Conduct in Scientific Publishing. International Union of Pure and Applied Physics; http://www.iupap.org/wg/communications/ethics/outcomes.pdf
- Schöne, Christian, Bernhardt, Eike et al.(2013): Analysis tools for extracting citations from publication lists; in progressGoogle Scholar
- Severiens, Thomas (2008): Requirements for Author Registries. The Euroscientist, volume. 5, 2008, pages 4–5; http://www.euroscience.org/authoridentification,28115,en.html
- Zinn-Justin, Jean (1998); Peer review and electronic publishing 1997; In: The Impact of Electronic Publishing on the Academic Community, Session 3; The content and quality of academic communication, Peer review and ele tronic publishing; International Workshop; Academia Europaea and the Wenner-Gren Foundation; Wenner-Gren Center, Stockholm April 1997; Wenner Gren International Series V. 73 (Portland Press 1998); Butterworth, I. (Ed.); http://www.portlandpress.com/pp/books/online/tiepac/session3/ch3.html