A scientific editor’s support tool: Design, analysis and value
This article addresses the requests for an online tool to aid publishers of scientific journals in their work to pre-filter the mass of incoming papers for scientific quality. As a first step the Hamburg EERQI group has analyzed the process of scientific refereeing by developing a detailed questionnaire and asking a group of referees to re-referee a large, preselected stack of previously published scientific papers in educational research (see Gogolin/Stumm in this volume). We proceeded to extract information about the refereeing process from the wealth of statistical data gathered in their survey: We used a linear weighted combination of the detailed accumulated answers, here called intrinsic parameters, to determine the best fit to the overall judgment of the referees on a paper. That is, we try to compare the contributions of the individual aspects to the whole.
KeywordsMarketing Assure Zinn
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Hilf, Eberhard R., Kappenberg, Bernd, and Roosendaal, Hans E, (2008): Author Identification: The benefit of being able to identify researchers uniquely; volume 5, page 5-8, 2008; The Euroscientist http://www.euroscience.org/author-identification,28115,en.html
- Hilf, Eberhard R. (2003): Report on the IUPAP Workshop on Scientific Misconduct and the role of Physics Journals in its investigation and Prevention; at: EPS European Physical Society, Mulhouse, FR http://www.isn-oldenburg.de/~hilf/vortraege/london03/report2EPS.pdf
- Hilf, Eberhard R. (2003): Report on the IUPAP Workshop on Scientific Misconduct and the role of Physics in its Investigation and Prevention; Oldenburg; http://www.isn-oldenburg.de/~hilf/vortraege/london03/london03-isntalkprint.html
- IUPAP (2003): Outcomes: International Guidelines for Ethical Conduct in Scientific Publishing. International Union of Pure and Applied Physics; http://www.iupap.org/wg/communications/ethics/outcomes.pdf
- Schöne, Christian, Bernhardt, Eike et al.(2013): Analysis tools for extracting citations from publication lists; in progressGoogle Scholar
- Severiens, Thomas (2008): Requirements for Author Registries. The Euroscientist, volume. 5, 2008, pages 4–5; http://www.euroscience.org/authoridentification,28115,en.html
- Zinn-Justin, Jean (1998); Peer review and electronic publishing 1997; In: The Impact of Electronic Publishing on the Academic Community, Session 3; The content and quality of academic communication, Peer review and ele tronic publishing; International Workshop; Academia Europaea and the Wenner-Gren Foundation; Wenner-Gren Center, Stockholm April 1997; Wenner Gren International Series V. 73 (Portland Press 1998); Butterworth, I. (Ed.); http://www.portlandpress.com/pp/books/online/tiepac/session3/ch3.html