Organizational Transformation for Sustainable Development: A Case Study
- 5.3k Downloads
The paper presents a case study of organizational transformation adopting Galpin’s model of Change Management Process. Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC), a public sector enterprise, is a ‘maharatna’ (the greatest corporate jewels of India), an Indian multi-national, which contributes to 72 % of the nation’s crude oil and 48 % of natural gas production. It has been responsible for building up 7 billion tons of in-place hydrocarbon reserves of the country. All its installations were certified for Quality, Health, Safety and Environment Management (QHSE). The paper traces ONGC’s evolution, growth and transformation with focus on green management and triple bottom line. It had received several awards, inter alia, Golden Peacock Award several times including one in 2013 for its heath, climate, safety and impeccable record in the climate change mitigation. Thus, a traditional government owned organization, ONGC, has emerged as a leading global player in the energy sector. It had successfully faced competition and had been recognized as one of the most respected companies in India with the 3 Ps—people, profit and planet without losing focus on green management.
KeywordsCorporate Social Responsibility Business Group Triple Bottom Line Underground Coal Gasification Grass Root Level
- 3.Balse, H. (1997). McKinsey sets four-point agenda for ONGC recast make sweeping. Business Standard. http://www.business-standard.com/article/specials/mckinsey-sets-four-point-agenda-for-ongc-recast-make-sweeping-197071101068_1.html. Accessed 26 Dec 2008.
- 4.Bass, B. M., & Avolio, B. J. (1994). Improving organizational effectiveness through transformational leadership. Thousand Oaks: Sage.Google Scholar
- 6.French, E. (2007). Green by design. Logistics & Transport Focus, 9(5), 42–45.Google Scholar
- 7.Galpin, T. (1996). The human side of change: A practical guide to organization redesign. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.Google Scholar
- 8.Gandhok, T., Kulkarni, S., & Dwivedi, A. (2002). India's largest wealth creators. Business Today, February 17, 2002.Google Scholar
- 9.The Hindustan Times. (2006). India: The next global superpower, HT leadership summit, Nov 17 & 18 2006. http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/specials/leadership2006/ongc.html. Accessed 30 Dec 2008.
- 10.Judson, A. (1991). Changing behavior in organizations: Minimizing resistance to change. Cambridge: Basil Blackwell.Google Scholar
- 11.Kotter, J. (1995). Leading change: Why transformation efforts fail. Harvard Business Review, 73, 59–67.Google Scholar
- 15.McKinsey & Co. (2001). ONGC to make losses in 3–5 years. The Indian Express, March 22, 2001.Google Scholar
- 16.The Oil And Natural Gas Commision Act. (1959). ACT NO. 43 OF 1959, 18.09.1959. http://indiankanoon.org/doc/783396/. Accessed 14 Aug 2014.
- 17.Oil and Natural Gas Corporation. www.ongcindia.com. Accessed 30 Dec 2008.
- 18.Oil and Natural Gas Cooperation ONGC Achievements & Awards. http://www.ongcindia.com/wps/wcm/connect/ongcindia/home/achievement_awards. Accessed 22 Nov 2013.
- 19.Oil and Natural Gas Corporation ONGC Results. http://www.ongcindia.com/wps/wcm/connect/71bcfb7d-e30d-4d6d-8326-ed29a13ffb9c/_awards_OISD+Awards.pdf?MOD=AJPERES. Accessed 22 Nov 2013.
- 20.Pretty, J., Ball, A. S., et al. (2007). The Sage handbook of environment and society. New York: Sage.Google Scholar
- 21.Project Monitor. (2008). ONGC to become Carbon neutral in oilfield business. Projectmonitor. http://old.projectsmonitor.com/detailnews.asp?newsid=16311. Accessed 25 Aug 2014.
- 22.PTI. (2007). ONGC 2007 Net Up 8% at Rs15,643. Live Mint & The Wall Street Journal. http://www.livemint.com/Companies/rip7S2UZswSR6W53n184GL/ONGC-2007-net-up-8-at-Rs15643-cr.html. Accessed 30 Dec 2008.
- 23.Ramesh, M. (2008). We have gone beyond McKinsey recommendations: ONGC chief. Business Line. http://www.thehindubusinessline.in/businessline/2001/09/12/stories/14125005.htm. Accessed 25 Aug 2014.
- 24.Sharma, R. (2008). Change management: Concept & applications. New Delhi: McGraw-Hill Co.Google Scholar
- 25.Sharma, R. R. (2012). Change management & organisational transformation. New Delhi: McGraw-Hill Co.Google Scholar
- 27.Sridhar, V. (1998). ONGC: Coping with Competition. Frontline 15(8). The Hindu. http://www.hinduonnet.com/fline/fl1508/15080890.html. Accessed 25 Aug 2014.
- 28.United Nations Environment Programme. (1997). Environmental management in oil and gas exploration and production. www.unep.org. Accessed 30 Dec 2008.