Assessing the Availability of Biomass Residues for Energy Conversion: Promotors and Constraints
The demand of biomass for energy production purposes will further increase over the coming years. For future attempts of implementing a sustainable energy system based on renewable energy carriers, agricultural residues are seen as a high-ranked option. This chapter presents background information for the biomass market in the European Union (EU), and the economic and ecological potential of straw as bioethanol feedstock is evaluated considering influencing factors for straw from being a residue to become a resource.
KeywordsEuropean Union Soil Organic Carbon Wheat Straw Agricultural Residue Conversion Pathway
The support of this work by the association Energy Institute at the Johannes Kepler University and the funding under the Regional Competitiveness Programme 2007–2013 Upper Austria from the European Regional Development Fund and by the state of Upper Austria is gratefully acknowledged.
- 1.EURELECTRIC (2011) Biomass 2020. Opportunities, Challenges and Solutions. [Online] Available from: URL: http://www.eurelectric.org/media/26720/resap_biomass_2020_8-11-11_prefinal-2011-113-0004-01-e.pdf [Accessed: 07 October 2013].
- 2.SPOETTLE, M. et al (2013) Low ILUC potential of wastes and residues for biofuels. Straw, forestry residues, UCO, corn cobs. ECOFYS Project Number: BIEDE 13386/BIENL 12798.Google Scholar
- 3.BACOVSKY, D., DALLOS, M., WÖRGETTER, M., (2010) Status of 2nd Generation Biofuels Demonstration Facilities in June 2010. A Report to IEA Bioenergy Task 39 [Online] Available from http://www.task39.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=PBlquceJcEQ%3D&tabid=4426&language=en-US [Accessed: 14 March 2013]
- 4.GNANSOUNOU, E. (2010) Production and use of lignocellulosic bioethanol in Europe: Current situation and perspectives. Bioresour. Technol. 101, 4842-4850.Google Scholar
- 5.MANTAU, U. (2012) Wood Flows in Europe (EU 27). Project report. Celle, 2012.Google Scholar
- 6.MANTAU, U. et al. (2010), EUwood—Real potential for changes in growth and use of EU forests. Final report, Hamburg, Deutschland.Google Scholar
- 7.STEIRER F. (2010) Current Wood Resources Availability and Demands. National and Regional Wood Resource Balances EU/EFTA Countries, United Nations, Geneva. http://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/timber/publications/DP-51_for_web.pdf.
- 8.UNITED NATIONS (2011) The European Forest Sector Outlook Study II. http://live.unece.org/forests/outlook/welcome.html.
- 9.FRANCESATO, V. et al. (2008) Wood Fuels Handbook. Production, Quality Requirements, Trading. Italian Agriforestry Energy Association.Google Scholar
- 10.BIOMASS TRADE CENTER (2013) Monitoring of Wood Fuel Prices in Slovenia, Austria, Italy, Croatia, Romania, Germany, Spain and Ireland.Google Scholar
- 11.BENTSEN, N.S., Felby, C. (2012) Biomass for energy in the European Union—a review of bioenergy resource assessments. Biotechnology for Biofuels 5:25.Google Scholar
- 12.KRETSCHMER, B. et al. (2012) Mobilising Cereal Straw in the EU to feed Advanced biofuel production. Institute for European Environmental Policy.Google Scholar
- 13.EURACTIV (2013) Biosprit: Neuausrichtung der EU-Agrarkraftstoffpolitik. [Online] Available from: URL: http://www.euractiv.de/ressourcen-und-umwelt/artikel/biosprit-neuausrichtung-der-eu-agrarkraftstoffpolitik-007758 [Accessed: 09 October 2013]
- 14.RODE, M. et al. (2005) Naturschutzverträgliche Erzeugung und Nutzung von Biomasse zur Wärme- und Stromgewinnung‘, Bundesamt für Naturschutz, Bonn.Google Scholar
- 15.FNR (2005) ,Leitfaden Bioenergie‘.Google Scholar
- 16.KIESEWALTER, S. (2006) ,Untersuchungen zur Verbrennung von halmgutartiger Biomasse’.Google Scholar
- 17.ZAH, R. et al. (2007) Life Cycle Assessment of Energy Products: Environmental Assessment of Biofuels, commissioned by the Swiss Federal Office for Energy, Environment and Agriculture.Google Scholar
- 18.EUROPEAN COMMISSION (2005) Viewls—Clear views on clean fuels, Project final report.Google Scholar
- 19.ARMSTRONG, A.P. et al. (2002) Energy and greenhouse gas balances of biofuels for europe, CONCAWE.Google Scholar
- 20.EUROPEAN COMMISSION (2009a) Directive 2009/28/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 23 April 2009 on the Promotion of the Use of Energy from Renewable Sources and Amending and Subsequently Repealing Directives 2001/77/EC and 2003/30/EC. European Commission, Belgium.Google Scholar
- 21.EUROPEAN COMMISSION (2009b) Directive 2009/30/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 23 April 2009 amending Directive 98/70/EC as regards the specification of petrol, diesel and gas-oil and introducing a mechanism to monitor and reduce greenhouse gas emissions and amending Council Directive 1999/32/EC as regards the specification of fuel used by inland waterway vessels and repealing Directive 93/12/EEC. European Commission, Belgium.Google Scholar
- 22.STOATE, C. et al. (2009) Ecological impacts of early 21st century agricultural change in Europe—A review. J. Environ. Manage. 91, 22–46.Google Scholar
- 23.BORRISON, A.L., McMANUS, M.C., HAMMOND, G.P. (2012) Environmental life cycle assessment of lignocellulosic conversion to ethanol: A review. Renew. Sustainable Energy Rev. 16, 4638–4650.Google Scholar
- 24.CHERUBINI, F. (2010) GHG balances of bioenergy systems—Overview of key steps in the production chain and methodological concerns. Renew. Energy 35, 1565-1573.Google Scholar
- 25.WILOSO, E.I., HEIJUNGS, R., DE SNOO, G.R. (2012) LCA of second generation bioethanol: A review and some issues to be resolved for good LCA practice. Renew. Sustainable Energy Rev. 16, 5295–5308.Google Scholar
- 26.SMITH, W.N., et al. (2012) Crop residue removal effects on soil carbon: Measured and inter-model comparisons. Agric. Ecosyst. Environ. 161, 27–38.Google Scholar
- 27.MUTH D.J. Jr., BRYDEN, K.M. (2013) An integrated model for assessment of sustainable agricultural residue removal limits for bioenergy systems. Environ. Model. Softw. 39, 50–69.Google Scholar
- 28.VDLUFA (Verband Deutscher Landwirtschaftlicher Untersuchungs-und Forschungsanstalten) (2004) Humusbilanzierung: Methode zur Beurteilung und Messung der Humusversorgung von Ackerland. Google Scholar
- 29.EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT (2013) European Parliament backs switchover to advanced biofuels [online] Available from: http://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/news-room/content/20130906IPR18831/html/European-Parliament-backs-switchover-to-advanced-biofuels [Accessed: 09 October 2013]