Improvement of Seismic Response of an Industrial Structure
An industrial heavy structure subjected to seismic action and its response after a few design improvements is presented. The difficulties of modelling of this industrial structure compared with ordinary structures is discussed, especially the effect of free hanged 250 tons of steel pipes used for medium cooling. The effect of long hanger (about 15m) swaying and its possible bouncing on steel casing should be minimalised. A detailed FEM model was prepared. Seismic effects were calculated via time history analyses. Five different alternatives of design improvements were taken into account. They differ by constructing difficulties and costs needed for achieving the desired effects. An introduction of seismic stoppers and dampers is considered too. Gap closing effects and contact forces calculation between different parts of the relatively moving structure are introduced too. The advantages of the best solution are discussed. The ratio of reduction seismic effects with and without appropriate measures is compared.
KeywordsMode Shape Seismic Action Seismic Response Ground Acceleration Industrial Structure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Kohnke, P.C.: Ansys, Eng. System, Theoretical Manual, Swanson Analysis System, 1989Google Scholar
- Flesch: Baudynamik, praxisgerecht, Band I, Berechnungsgrundlagen, Wiesbaden -Berlin, Bauverlag GmbH. 1993, 543 pp.Google Scholar
- EN 1998-1. Design of structures for earthquake resistance - General rules, seismic actions and rules for buildings. Brussels. 2005 Google Scholar
- STN EN 1998-1/NA. Design of structures for earthquake resistance - General rules, seismic actions and rules for buildings. Slovak National Annex. SÚTN. 2009 Bratislava Google Scholar
- Clough, R.W., Penzien, J.: Dynamics of Structures. Singapore, McGraw-Hill. 1993, 648 pp.Google Scholar
- Argyris, J., Mlejnek, H.P.: Dynamics of Structures. Texts on Computational Mechanics. Vol. 5. Amsterdam, Elsevier Science Publ. 1991, 606 pp.Google Scholar