The gender gap among local representatives: A potential for local development?
This chapter analyses the gender gap in the attitudes of local elected elites in the countries covered by the survey on municipal councillors within the international project Municipal Assemblies in European Local Governments (MAELG). Some studies indicate that, although broadly the same issues are significant for both women and men, women’s perspectives on issues still differ. As women need to be at least a large minority in municipal councils to have an impact on different policies, we use and compare the available statistics on women’s participation in local councils in the countries included in the MAELG project to see whether the identified differences (if any) could result in different policy choices.
KeywordsGross Domestic Product Composite Index Local Development Local Economic Development Local Councillor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ahmad, E. and Brosio, G. (2006) Handbook of Fiscal Federalism. Edward Elgar: Cheltenham, Northampton.Google Scholar
- Bahl, R. W. and Linn, J. F. (1992) Urban Public Financing in Developing Countries. Oxford University Press: Oxford.Google Scholar
- Bari, F. (2005) Women’s Political Participation: Issues and Challenges, United Nations Division for the Advancement of Women (DAW), Expert Group Meeting ‘Enhancing Participation of Women in Development through an Enabling Environment for Achieving Gender Equality and the Advancement of Women’, Bangkok, Thailand, 8-11 November, http://www.un.org/womenwatch/daw/egm/enabling-environment2005/docs/EGM-WPD-EE-2005-EP.12%20%20draft%20F.pdf. Retrieved 2005-10-29.
- Bartik, T. J. (2004) ‘Economic Development’ in Aronson, J. R. and Schwartz, E. (eds.) Management Policies in Local Government Finance. International City/County Management Association: Washington D. C., 355-390.Google Scholar
- Bingham, R. D. and Mier, R. (eds.) (1993) Theories of Local EconomicDevelopment: Perspectives from Across the Disciplines. SAGE Publications: Newbury Park, California, London, New Delhi.Google Scholar
- Blair, J.P. (1995) Local Economic Development. Analysis and Practice. SAGE Publications: Thousand Oaks, London, New Delhi.Google Scholar
- Blair, J. P. and Carroll, M. C. (2009) Local Economic Development: Analysis, Practices, and Globalization. SAGE Publications: Thousand Oaks, London, New Delhi.Google Scholar
- Blakely, E. J. and Green Leigh, N. (2002) Planning Local Economic Development. Theory and Practice. SAGE Publications: Los Angeles, London, New Delhi, Singapore. Council of European Municipalities and Regions (2009/2010) EU sub-national governments: 2008 key figures. 2009/2010 Edition. Council of European Municipalities and Regions: Paris.Google Scholar
- European Commission (2008) Women and men in decision-making 2007: Analysis of the situation and trends. Luxembourg: European Commission, Directorate-General for Employment, Social Affairs and Equal Opportunities. Eurostat: http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/portal/page/portal/region_cities/city_urban/data_cities/tables_sub1.Google Scholar
- Evertzen, A. (2001) Gender and Local Governance. Netherlands Development Organisation (SNV): The Hague.Google Scholar
- Gelb, J. and Palley, M. L. (2008) Women & Politics around the World: A Comparative History and Survey. ABC-CLIO, Inc.: Santa Barbara.Google Scholar
- Greenwood, D. ‘Local Indicators of Quality of Life: A Preliminary Look at the Pikes Peak Region’, http://www.uccs.edu/Documents/ccps/qol.pdf.
- Hazman, S. A. and Maniam, K. (2008) ‘From Customer Satisfaction to Citizen Satisfaction: Rethinking Local Government Service Delivery in Malaysia’, Asian Social Science 4 (11), 87-92.Google Scholar
- Hughes, M. (2008) Politics at the Intersection: A Cross-National Analysis of Minority Women’s Legislative Representation. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Department of Sociology, The Ohio State University. Quoted in Moghadam 2010: 295.Google Scholar
- Human Development Reports (HDR) (2010): http://hdr.undp.org/en/statistics/.Google Scholar
- Inglehart, R. and Norris, P. (2003) Rising Tide: Gender Equality and Cultural Change around the World. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge.Google Scholar
- International Monetary Fund (IMF): http://www.imf.org.
- Inter-Parliamentary Union (2010) Women in Politics 2010: http://www.ipu.org/english/surveys.htm#MAP2010. Inter-Parliamentary Union (2008) Equality in Politics: A Survey of Women and Men in Parliaments. Inter-Parliamentary Union: Geneva.
- Johansson, V. (2006) ‘Gendered Roads to Mayorship in Different Welfare States’ in Baeck, H., Heinelt, H. and Magnier, A. (eds.) The European Mayor. Political Leaders in the Changing Context of Local Democracy. Verlag für Sozialwissenschaften: Wiesbaden, 99-121.Google Scholar
- Jurlina Alibegović, D. and Slijepčević, S. (2010) ‘Uloga vijećnika gradskih vijeća u upravljanju i razvoju gradova u Hrvatskoj’, Hrvatska javna uprava 10 (2), 399-426.Google Scholar
- Kane, M. and Sand, P. (1988) Economic Development: What Works at the Local Level. National League of Cities: Washington D.C.Google Scholar
- Montalvo, D. (2009) Citizen Satisfaction with Municipal Services, Americas Barometer Insights No.14, http://www.vanderbilt.edu/lapop/insights/I0814en.pdf. Musgrave, R. (1959) The Theory of Public Finance. McGrow Hill: New York.
- Nyiri, Z. and Richard V. (2005) ‘The Gender Gap in Local Political Leaderships in Central and Eastern Europe’ in Soós, G. and Zentai, V (eds.) Faces of Local Democracy: Comparative Papers from Central and Eastern Europe, Local Government and Public Service Reform Initiative. Open Society Institute: Budapest, 79-121.Google Scholar
- Partridge, M. D. and Rickman, D. S. (2003) ‘Do We Know Economic Development When We See It?’, The Review of Regional Studies 33 (1), 17-39.Google Scholar
- Rogge, N. and Verschelde, M. (2012) A composite index of citizen satisfaction with local police services. HUB Research Papers 2012/13, Economics & Management, https://lirias.hubrussel.be/bitstream/123456789/6195/1/12HRP13.pdf.Google Scholar
- Ter-Minassian, T. (1997) Fiscal Federalism in Theory and in Practice. International Monetary Fund: Washington D.C.Google Scholar
- The Audit Commission UK, Local quality of life indicators – supporting local communities to become sustainable, http://www.audit-commission.gov.uk/SiteCollection Documents/AuditCommissionReports/NationalStudies/QofL2005.pdf.
- The United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE), (2010) http://w3.unece.org/pxweb/dialog/varval.asp?ma=004_GEPDMuniCoun_r&path=../database/STAT/30-GE/05-PublicAnddecision/&lang=1&ti=Members+of+municipal+councils+or+other+local+area+governing+bodies+by+Sex,+Measurement,+Country+and+Year.
- World Bank (2011): ‘What is Local Economic Development’, http://web.worldbank.org/WBSITE/EXTERNAL/TOPICS/EXTURBANDEVELOPMENT/EXTLED/0,,contentMDK:20185186~menuPK:399161~pagePK:148956~piPK:216618~theSitePK:341139,00.html.