Changes in the Skin of the Syrian Hamster after a Single Application of 9,10-Dimethyl-1,2-benzanthracene
In 1956 Della Porta et al.  reported the induction of skin melanomas in Syrian hamsters. No detailed information has been presented on the initial stages of their development and on the role of epithelial and connective tissue changes in this process. Such investigations may be of particular importance in the understanding of the mechanism of skin cancerogenesis and melanomagenesis in hamsters.
KeywordsHair Follicle Elastic Fibre Single Application Syrian Hamster Skin Melanoma
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chernozemski, IV.: Studies on the structure and the cyclic changes in the skin and the hairs of the golden hamster (Mesocricetus auratus). Scientific papers of the Cancer Res. Institute (Sofia) 8, 5–16 (1962).Google Scholar
- Chernozemski, IV.: Melanotic tumors in the Syrian golden hamster after cutaneous application of DMBA. Oncologia (Sofia) 1, N 2, 1–12 (1964).Google Scholar
- Della Porta, G., H. Rappaport, U. Saffiotti, and P. Shubik: Induction of melanotic lesions during skin carcinogenesis in hamsters. Arch. Path. 61, 205–213 (1956).Google Scholar
- Ghadially, E. N., and J. F. Barker: The histogenesis of experimental induced melanotic tumours in the Syrian hamster (Cricetus auratus). J. Pat. Bact. 79, 265–272 (1960).Google Scholar
- Maltoni, C., and G. Prodi: The behaviour of connective tissue in the genesis and development of tumours. Milano: Casa Editrice Ambrosiana 1960.Google Scholar
- Mishima, Y.: New technic for comprehensive demonstration of melanin, pre-melanin and tyrosinase sites. J. invest. Dermat. 34, 355–360 (1960).Google Scholar
- Orr, J. W.: Permutation of the stromal tissues during carcinogenesis. Acta Un. int. Cancr. 17, 64–70 (1961).Google Scholar
- Raichev, R., and I. Chernozemski: Tumours in Syrian hamster after skin application of 9,10-dimethyl-1,2-benzanthracene (DMBA). Oncologia (Sofia) 1, 5–12 (1964).Google Scholar
- Shabad, L. M.: Some aspects of the morphology of experimental precancerous lesions. In: The Morphological precursors of cancer, p. 111–118. Editea by SEVERI, L. Perugia: Division of Cancer Research 1962.Google Scholar
- Vasilev, J. M.: Experimental studies of connective tissue and tumor growth. Moscow: Med. Publ. 1961.Google Scholar