Vibrational Spectra of Crystals and Superlattices Electron-Phonon Interaction
The present monograph primarily deals with electronic properties. Information on the vibrational spectra and electron-phonon interaction will mainly be needed in Chap. 8 which is devoted to light scattering. Nevertheless, application of group theory to the classification of vibrational spectra of bulk crystals and superlattices illustrates the power of these methods. Their use permits one, without recourse to concrete calculations, to establish the general pattern of phonon spectra, to find the irreducible representations according to which normal vibrations transform near singular points, to determine how long-range dipole-dipole interaction affects the spectrum, and how the spectrum changes when superlattices form. All these aspects are considered in the first part of the present chapter.
KeywordsHexagonal GaAs Itive Cell
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.1Yu.E. Kitaev, R.A. Evarestov: Fiz. Tverd. Tela30, 2970 (1988) [Sov. Phys. - Solid State 30, 1712 (1988)]Google Scholar
- 4.3P. Molinas i Mata, M.I. Alonso, M. Cardona: Solid State Commun. 74, 374 (1990)Google Scholar
- 4.5B. Jusserand, M. Cardona: In Light Scattering in Solids V, ed. by M. Cardona, G. Guntherodt, Topics Appl. Phys., Vol.66 (Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg 1989) p.49Google Scholar
- 4.8E. Molinari, S. Baroni, P. Giannozzi, D. Gironcoli: Proc. 20th Int’l Conf. Phys. Semicond. (Thesaloniki, Greece 1990), ed. by E.M. Anastassakis, J.D. Joannopoulos (World Scientific, Singapore 1990) p. 1429Google Scholar
- 4.9M. Rytov: Acust. Zh. 2, 71 (1956) [Sov. Phys. - Acoust. 2, 63 (1956)]Google Scholar
- 4.12R.E. Gamley, D.L. Mills: Phys. Rev. B29, 1695 (1984)Google Scholar
- 4.14H. Chu, S.F. Ren, Y.-C. Chang: Phys. Rev. B37, 10476 (1988)Google Scholar
Vibrational Spectra of Superalattices
- Hai G.Q., F.M. Peeters, Y.T. Devreese: Electron optical-phonon coupling in GaAs/ Alx Ga1-x As quantum wells due to interface, slab and half space modes. Phys. Rev. B 48, 4666 (1993)Google Scholar
- Jusserand B., D. Paquet, A. Regreny: “Folded” optical phonons in GaAs/ Ga1-x Alx As superlattices. Phys. Rev. B 30,6245 (1984)Google Scholar
- Knipp P.A., T.L. Reinecke: Effect of boundary conditions on confined optical phonons in semiconductor nanostructures.Phys. Rev. B 48, 18037 (1993)Google Scholar