The regular, strictly periodic structure of the crystal discussed in the preceding chapters is just an idealized picture. In nature, even under conditions of ideal thermodynamic equilibrium, crystals must show various deviations from this structure, which are called crystal lattice defects. Equilibrium lattice defects should by no means be interpreted as crystal defects. They can be regarded as elementary excitations of the ground state of the crystal, being just as inherent in the crystal as phonons or electrons, etc. While phonons and electrons are elementary excitations in the phonon and electron subsystems of a crystal, which were considered in Chaps. 3,4, lattice defects are elementary excitations in the atomic subsystem of a crystal, whose ground state was described in Chap. 1.
KeywordsBurger Vector Twin Boundary Screw Dislocation Edge Dislocation Dislocation Line
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.1L.A. Shuvalov, A.A. Urusovskaya, I.S. Zheludev, A.V. Zalesskii, B.N. Grechushnikov, I.G. Chistyakov, S.A. Semiletov: Sovremennaya kristallografiya TA, Fizicheskiye svoistva kristallov (Nauka, Moscow 1981) [English transl.: Modern Crystallography IV, Physical Properties of Crystals, Springer Ser. Solid-State Sci., Vol.37 (Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg 1988)Google Scholar
- 5.2B.K. Vainshtein: Sovremennaya kristallografiya. T.l. Simmetriya kristallov. Metody strukturnoi kristallografiya (Nauka, Moscow 1979) [English transl.: Modern Crystallography I. Symmetry of Crystals, Methods of Structural Crystallography, Springer Ser. Solid-State Sci., Vol.15 (Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg 1981)Google Scholar
- B.K. Vainshtein: Fundamentals of Crystals, Modern Crystallography 1 (Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg 1994)Google Scholar
- 5.3A.A. Chernov, E.I. Givargizov, K.S. Bagdasarov, V.A. Kuznetsov, L.N. Demyanets, A.N. Lobachev: Sovremennaya kristallografiya, Vol.3, Obrazovaniye kristallov, ed. by B.K. Vainshtein (Nauka, Moscow 1980) [English transl.: Modern Crystallography III. Formation of Crystals, Springer Ser. Solid-State Sci., Vol. 36 (Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg 1984)Google Scholar
- 5.4V.A. Phillips: Acta Metall. 20, 1147 (1972)Google Scholar
- 5.6Physical Crystallography, ed. by B.K. Vainshtein, L.A. Shuvalov (Nauka, Moscow 1992) (in Russian)Google Scholar
- 5.7F.R. N. Nabarro (ed.): Dislocations in Crystals (Electron Sci. Publ., Amsterdam 1987)Google Scholar
- 5.8V.L. Indenbom, J. Lothe (eds.): Elastic Strain Fields and Dislocation Mobility (Elsevier, Amsterdam 1992)Google Scholar