The family of silver halides encompasses one member (AgCl) in which excitons and holes self-trap, and the remainder (AgF, AgBr, AgI) in which excitons and holes do not apparently self-trap. In AgBr, as one well-studied example, hole conduction exhibits polaron characteristics suggesting momentary localization, but neither stable self-trapped holes nor optical spectra characteristic of a STE have been found. The AgCl/AgBr alloy system is an interesting proving ground for ideas on the threshold for self-trapping and its correspondence to various measures of the exciton-phonon coupling strength. Because of this and the fact that the preponderance of pure-crystal data are for AgCl and AgBr, these will be the main subjects of this chapter.
KeywordsDioxide Microwave Recombination Iodine Fluoride
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 9.1J.F. Hamilton: Adv. Phys. 37, 359 (1988) H. Kanzaki: Rev. Solid State Sci. 4, 751 (1990) K. Biedermann: Silver Halide Photographic Materials, in Holographie Recording Materials, ed. by H.M. Smith, Topics Appl. Phys., Vol. 80 (Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg 1977) Chap. 2Google Scholar
- 9.2W. von der Osten: Excitons and exciton relaxation in silver halides, in Polarons and Excitons in Polar Semiconductors and Ionic Crystals, ed. by J.T. Devreese and F. Peeters (Plenum, New York 1984) p. 293Google Scholar
- 9.4H. Overhof: Presented by W. von der Osten: in Landolt-Bornstein New Series III, Vol. 17b, “Semiconductors”, ed. by O. Madelung (Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg 1982)Google Scholar
- 9.8M. Ueta, H. Kanzaki, K. Kobayashi, Y. Toyozawa, E. Hanamura, Excitonic Processes in Solids, Springer Ser. Solid-State Sci. Vol. 60 (Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg 1986) Chap. 6Google Scholar
- 9.12H. Kanzaki: Photogr. Sci. Eng. 24, 219 (1980)Google Scholar
- 9.15J.B. Bersukes, V.Z. Polinger: Vibronic Interactions in Molecules and Crystals, Springer Ser. Chem. Phys., Vol. 49 (Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg 1989)Google Scholar
- 9.22M. Ueta, H. Kanzaki, K. Kobayashi, Y. Toyozawa, E. Hanamura: Excitonic Processes in Solids, Springer Ser. Solid-State Sci. Vol. 60 (Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg 1986) Sect. 4.4Google Scholar
- 9.25W. von der Osten: in Landolt-Börnstein, New Series III, Vol. 17b, Semiconductors, ed. by O. Madelung (Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg 1982) p. 282Google Scholar
- 9.29C.L. Marquardt: Hole self-trapping and recombination luminescence in silver chloride single crystals at low temperatures. Ph.D. Thesis, The Catholic University of America, Washington, DC (1972)Google Scholar
- 9.33W. von der Osten: Light Scattering in Silver Halides, in Light Scattering in Solids VI, ed. by M. Cardona, G. Güntherodt, Topics Appl. Phys., Vol. 68 (Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg 1991) Chap. 7Google Scholar
- 9.34Hanli Liu, G.P. Williams, Jr, R.T. Williams, L.M. Slifkin, C. Childs: Bull. Am. Phys. Soc. 37, 722 (1992) (abstract Q29 11, unpublished)Google Scholar
- 9.44M. Kobayashi, Y. Ohno, S. Endo, K. Cho, S. Narita: Physica 117B–118B, 272 (1983)Google Scholar