Boundary Layer Flow
Traditionally it has been useful to consider boundary layer flow as a separate category (Table 11.4 and Sect. 11.4). From a computational perspective it is convenient to classify boundary layer flow as a flow for which viscous diffusion is significant only in directions normal to the surface on which the boundary layer occurs (Fig. 15.1) and for which the normal momentum equation can be replaced with the condition that the pressure is constant. For such flows the governing equations are non-elliptic, if the pressure solution is given. This permits very efficient single-pass marching algorithms to be introduced (in the x direction in Fig. 15.1).
KeywordsBoundary Layer Turbulent Boundary Layer Boundary Layer Thickness Eddy Viscosity Boundary Layer Flow
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Blottner, F.G. (1975a): “Computational Techniques for Boundary Layers”, AGARD LS-73, Nato, Brussels, pp. 3.1–3.51Google Scholar
- Bradshaw, P. (1967): National Physical Laboratory, Aero Report 1219Google Scholar
- Carter, J.E. (1981): “Viscous-Inviscid Interaction Analysis of Transonic Turbulent Separated Flow”, AIAA Paper 81–1241Google Scholar
- Coles, P., Hirst, E. (eds.) (1968): Computation of Turbulent Boundary Layers Vol. 2 (Stanford University, Stanford)Google Scholar
- Fleet, R.W., Fletcher, C.A.J. (1983): “Application of the Dorodnitsyn Boundary Layer Formulation to Turbulent Compressible Flow”, in Eighth Australasian Fluid Mechanics Conference, ed. by R.A. Antonia (Newcastle University, Newcastle), pp. 1C1–1C4Google Scholar
- Isaacson, E., Keller, H.B. (1966): An Analysis of Numerical Methods (Wiley, New York)Google Scholar
- Krause, E. (1973): “Numerical Treatment of Boundary Layer Problems”, AGARD LS-64, Brussels, Nato pp. 4.1–4.21Google Scholar
- McLean, J.D., Randall, J.L. (1979): “Computer Program to Calculate Three-Dimensional Boundary Layer Flows over Wings with Wall Mass Transfer”, NASA CR-3123Google Scholar
- Noye, J. (1983): “Finite Difference Techniques for Partial Differential Equations” in Computational Techniques for Differential Equations, ed. by J. Noye (North-Holland, Amsterdam)Google Scholar
- Patankar, S.V., Spalding, D.B. (1970): Heat and Mass Transfer in Boundary Layers, 2nd ed. (Intertext, London)Google Scholar
- Rosenhead, L. (1964): Laminar Boundary Layers (Oxford University Press, Oxford)Google Scholar
- Schlichting, H. (1968): Boundary Layer Theory, 6th ed. (McGraw-Hill, New York)Google Scholar