Determination of Liver Function and Liver Regeneration in Fulminant Hepatic Failure
Coma and death in fulminant hepatic failure are due to loss of functioning liver tissue, and recovery, when it occurs, to restoration of liver tissue by formation of new cells. Thus the clinical course of the disease reflects the balance between degenerative and regenerative processes, and the clinical status of the patient is probably mainly determined by the amount of functioning liver tissue, which is the result of preceding cumulative destruction and regeneration.
KeywordsLiver Regeneration Acute Liver Failure Fulminant Hepatic Failure Regenerative Index Fulminant Liver Failure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bucher NLR, Malt RA (1971) Liver regeneration. In: Regeneration of liver and kidney. Medical Progress Series. Little, Brown, Boston, p 17–161Google Scholar
- Dymock IW (1975) Assessment of survival prospects in acute hepatic failure — The value of a coagulation screen. In: Williams R, Murray-Lyon IM (eds) Artificial liver support. Pitman, Tunbridge Wells, pp 290–297Google Scholar
- Gazzard BG, Portmann B, Murray-Lyon IM, Williams R (1975) Cause of death in fulminant hepatic failure and relationship to quantitative histological assessment of parenchymal damage. Q J Med (NS) 44/176:615–626Google Scholar
- Kobayashi K, Kameda S, Sugimoto T, Suzuki K, Nishimura K, Kato Y, Hattori N, Nakaya Y, Takase S, Takada A, Takeuchi J (1978) The measurement of serum proteins with rapid turnover for early diagnosis of fatal hepatitis. Acta Hepatogastroenterol (Stuttg) 25:287–291Google Scholar
- Lala PK (1971) In: Busch H (ed) Studies on tumor cell population kinetics. Methods in cancer research. Academic Press, New York, pp 3–95Google Scholar
- Milandri M, Gaub J, Ranek L (to be published) Evidence for liver cell proliferation during fatal acute liver failure. GutGoogle Scholar
- Murray-Lyon IM, Orr H, Kohn J, Williams R (1975) Serum alpha-fetoprotein in fulminant hepatic failure. In: Williams R, Murray-Lyon IM (eds) Artifical liver support. Pitman, Tunbridge Wells, pp 278–282Google Scholar
- Rueff B, Morin T, Martin J-P, Feldmann G, Ropartz C, Benhamou JP (1975) Alpha1 antitrypsin and fulminant hepatitis. Gastroenterology 68:1084Google Scholar
- Vilstrup H (to be published) Synthesis of urea after stimulation with amino acids. Relation to liver function. GutGoogle Scholar