The behaviour of manufactured parts is dependent on the structure and properties both of the bulk material and of the surface. Different processes have been developed to treat surfaces and these include diffusion from the gas phase, electrolysis, laser, plasma, ion beam, cladding and thermal treatment. New compositions and new structures can be obtained with important effects on properties such as wear and corrosion. A second category of process dealing with surfaces is related to thin films, particularly in the fields of electronics and optics and these processes involve important applications such as the field of super-conductivity.
KeywordsPlasma Nitriding Flyer Plate Dark Space Induction Hardening Depth Concentration Profile
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Apelian D, Szekely J. (1987). Plasma Processing and Synthesis of Materials MRS.Google Scholar
- Arata Y (1986). Plasma, Electron and Laser Beam Technology ASM.Google Scholar
- ASME (1982). Explosive Welding and Forming ASME.Google Scholar
- Birkhoff G, MacGongal DP, Pugh E, Taylor G. J. Appl. Phys. 19, 6:563.Google Scholar
- Brodie I, Muray JJ, (1982). The Physics of Microfabrication, Plenum.Google Scholar
- Bunshah R (1982), Deposition Technology for Films and Coatings. Noyes Publications.Google Scholar
- Carter G. Colligon JS, Grant WA (1975), Applications of Ion Beams to Materials. Conf. Series No. 28, Inst. of Physics, London.Google Scholar
- Duley WW (1976). CO2 Lasers. Effects and Applications. Academic Press.Google Scholar
- Ganin E (1984). D.Sc. Thesis Dept. Mat. Eng. Technion, Haifa.Google Scholar
- Kossowsky R, Sing H (1984). Surface Engineering AIME.Google Scholar
- Ku TN, Rosenberg R (Eds) (1982). Preparation and Properties of Thin Films. Treatise on Mat. Sc. and Tech. Academic Press.Google Scholar
- Lyakhovich LS, Voroshuin LG, Paurich GG, Scherbakov ED (1974), Multicomponent Diffusion Coatings (published in Russian). Published in English (1987) NBS. Washington, USA.Google Scholar
- Spalding IJ (1987), How to Select a Suitable Laser. In: Proc. 4th Int. Conf. Lasers, IFS Ltd. Manufacturing Conferences.Google Scholar