A Representation of Time for Medical Expert Systems
Despite the fact that reasoning over time is clearly of great importance in diagnosis, prognosis and treatment planning, few medical expert systems have attempted to represent this facet of medical knowledge. This paper describes how a “time specialist” is being developed to handle the temporal aspects of problem-solving, and in particular, how it might deal with uncertainty and ambiguity in temporal relationships by using a form of Truth Maintenance.
Keywordsexpert systems temporal reasoning truth maintenance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.W.J. Long, “Reasoning about State from Causation and Time in a Medical Domain,” AAAI-83, pp. 251–254, 1983.Google Scholar
- 2.L.M. Fagan, “VM: Representing Time-Dependent Relations in a Medical Setting,” PhD Thesis, Stanford University, Dept. of Computer Science. 1980.Google Scholar
- 3.R.K. Sinnhuber and J.R.W. Hunter, “Temporal Information for Medical Expert Systems: A Review of Recent Work,” Report AIMG-6, Artificial Intelligence in Medicine Group. University of Sussex. 1984.Google Scholar
- 4.J.R.W. Hunter. “Artificial Intelligence in Medicine: A Tutorial Survey — Part 2: Comparisons,” Biomedical Measurement, Informatics and Control, 1987.Google Scholar
- 5.J.F. Allen, “An Interval-Based Representation of Temporal Knowledge.” IJCAIS1, 1981.Google Scholar
- 6.J.F. Allen. “Maintaining Knowledge about Temporal Intervals.” Communications of the ACM. vol. 26. no. 11. 1983.Google Scholar
- 7.J.F. Allen and H.A. Kautz. “A Model of Naive Temporal Reasoning.” in Formal Theories of the Commonsense World, ed. J.R. Hobbs and P.C. Moore, pp. 251–268. Ablex. Norwood. New Jersey. 1985.Google Scholar
- 8.J.F. Allen and J.A. Koomen. “Planning Using a Temporal World Model.” IJCAIS3. pp. 741–747. 1983.Google Scholar
- 10.K.M. Kahn. “Mechanisation of Temporal Knowledge.” M.Sc. Thesis. MIT/LCS/TR-155, 1975.Google Scholar
- 12.M. Vilain and H. Kautz. “Constraint Propagation Algorithms for Temporal Reasoning,” AAAI-86, vol. 1. pp. 377–382. 1986.Google Scholar