Ultrasonography of the Biliary Tract
- 53 Downloads
Apart from its role in surgery, in current medical practice sonography enables us to carry out a very satisfactory exploration of the biliary tract. Furthermore, in biliary pathology, it is emerging as a good examination among other methods, assuming first place in investigative imaging. On the basis of this, one is tempted to think that intraoperative sonography should play the same primary role. Experience proves this to be very difficult. During biliary intervention, it is easy to perform cholangiography, which does not take much longer than sonography. Classical radiomanometry is still sometimes used. Otherwise, if necessary, the surgeon can complete the exploration of the common bile duct by choledochoscopy. For a long time, surgeons have been well acquainted with these three techniques, which on the whole are satisfying. Thus, in intraoperative biliary tract exploration, sonography appears to be a new method providing only the same information as the existing widely disseminated methods. We shall see that this assumption should be qualified.
KeywordsBile Duct Portal Vein Common Bile Duct Hepatic Artery Cystic Duct
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bismuth H, Castaing D (1985) Echographie per-opératoire du foie et des voies biliaires. Flammarion Médecine-Sciences, Paris, France.Google Scholar
- 2.Herbst CA, Mittelstadt CA, Staab EV, Buckwalter JA (1984) Intraoperative ultrasonography evaluation of the gallbladder in morbidly obese patients. Ann Surg (December) 691-692.Google Scholar
- 3.Isman H, Brisard M (1984) L’espoir de guérison des cancers de la vésicule biliaire. Arguments pour une conception nouvelle des stades précoces. J Chir 121: 51–55.Google Scholar
- 7.Makuuchi M et al (1980) Internal and external drainage of the intrahepatic bile duct by operative sonography. Tan and Sui 11: 1557–1565.Google Scholar
- 8.Paris J, Salembier Y, Gerard A, Paris JC, Roger J (1977) Les lithiases biliaires. Encycl Med Chir Paris, Foie-Pancréas 10: 7047.Google Scholar
- 10.Vankemmel M, Houcke M, Fontaine JF, Talloen P (1978) Cancers des voies biliaires extrahépatiques. Encycl Med Chir Paris, Foie 10: 7057.Google Scholar