Inductive Learning as a Method for Medical Decision Making
A system for inductive learning is used in automatic construction of decision trees. The results and experience in its use in the field of rheumatology are presented. The decision trees have been obtained under different conditions, i. e. without and with pruning. Variability of results has been noted and discussed. It is concluded that such decision trees could be a useful guide in clinical decisions.
KeywordsArthritis Europe Rheumatol
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.J.R. Quinlan, Iterative Dichotomizer 3 (ID3). Stanford University, Artificial Intelligence Laboratory, California, June 1979.Google Scholar
- 3.B. Cestnik, I. Kononenko and I. Bratko, ASSISTANT 86: A Knowledge Elicitation Tool for Sophisticated Users. EWSL, Bled 1987.Google Scholar
- 4.I. Bratko and P. Mulec, An Experiment in Automatic Learning of Diagnostic Rules, Informatica 4: 18–25, 1980.Google Scholar
- 5.Cestnik B. ASSISTANT PROFESSIONAL a Software Tool for Inductive Learning of Decision Rules. System User Manual, Ver. 3. 30. Ljubljana: Edvard Kardelj University 1987.Google Scholar
- 6.J. Kern, Gj. Dezelic, M. Tezak-Bendic and Th. Duerrigl, Medical Decision Making by Using a Program for Inductive Learning (original in Croatian), Proceedings 1st Yugoslav Congress for Medical Informatics, Belgrade, December 6–8, 1990, 221–228.Google Scholar
- 7.I. Kononenko, I. Bratko and E. Roskar, A System for Inductive Learning ASSISTANT (original in Slovenian), Informatika 10: 43–52, 1986.Google Scholar
- 8.Gj. Dezelic, Th. Duerrigl, N. Dezelic, V. Zergollern, H. Jurak, M. VitauS and S. Androic, The Photometric Latex Test for Rheumatoid Factors in Patients with Rheumatoid Arthritis. II. Clinical Evaluation, Z. Rheumatol. 37: 112–122, 1978.Google Scholar
- 9.M.W. Ropes, G.A. Bennett, S. Cobb, R. Jacox and R.A. Jessar, 1958 Revision of Diagnostic Criteria for Rheumatoid Arthritis, Bull. Rheum. Dis. 9: 175–176, 1958.Google Scholar
- 10.S. Hojker, I. Kononenko and A. Karalii, Experiments with Automatic Learning of the Thyroid Gland Illnesses (original in Slovenian), in: Proceedings 8th International Symposium CAD/CAM, Zagreb, 1986.Google Scholar