Development of an Expert System for the Detection of Adverse Drug Reactions
The development of an expert system for the detection of adverse drug reactions based on the epidemiological approach and careful monitorization of a random sample of inpatients is proposed. Clinical parameters at the time of admission to hospital are taken as a starting point to assess new manifestations appearing during hospitalization. The newly developed signs and symptoms are sequentially introduced in a data base and analyzed using causality algorithms and statistical tests. Any statistically significant observation made or causality association established are entered into a medical knowledge data base. The expert system proposed may be used as a consultation tool or therapeutical decision aid.
KeywordsAdverse Drug Reaction Expert System Emergency Admission General Disturbance Epidemiological Approach
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Pintado V, Martin A, Guiard MV, et al. Reacciones adversas a medicamentos. Medicina Integral 1990; 15: 89–96.Google Scholar
- Alonso L, Castells C, Ferrer I, Ferrer P, Juan O, Matud C, Pereiro J, Rubio R, Valiño J. Programa de farmacovigilancia: nueva metodología. IX Reunión científica del FISss, Barcelona. 1990; 111.Google Scholar
- Martinez B, González de Suso MJ, Mota C, et al. Estudio de las reacciones adversas causadas por medicamentos en pacientes encamados en un hospital universitario. Rev Clin Esp 1986; 179: 73–6.Google Scholar
- Venulet J, Ciucci A, Berneker GC. Standardized assessment of drug-adverse reactions, rationale and experience. International Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, Therapy and Toxicology 1980; 18: 381–8.Google Scholar
- Karch FE, Lasagna L. Toward the operational identification of adverse drug reactions. Clin Pharmacol Ther 1977; 21: 247–54.Google Scholar
- Smeets R.P.A.M., Talmon J.L., Lugt P.J.M. van der, Schijven R.A.J. The development of a knowledge system for surveillance of anti-epileptic medication. In AIME 89 Lecture Notes in Medical Informatics. (Hunter J., Cookson J. and Wyatt J. eds.) 1989 Berlin. Springer-Verlag. 14–23.Google Scholar