A Temporal Database Management for Medical and Health Care Systems
This paper describes a new architecture (based on the relational data model) for the handling of time-varying data which is well suited for medical applications. This model also provides a heterogeneous distributed capability such that current and historical data may be stored on a network of different computing facilities. We have prototyped such a temporal data management system under the UNIX operating system using the C programming language which interfaces with the commercial relational database management system - Ingres.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ling DHO, Bell DA, Young IR, Time Domain Support for the Medical Information Systems, Proc 7th Int. Congress Medical Informatics Europe, Rome, Italy (Sep 1987), pp 545–551.Google Scholar
- McKenzie E, Snodgrass R, Bibliography: Temporal Databases and Research Concerning Time in Databases, SIGMOD Ree. Vol 15, No 4 (Dec 1986) pp 20–52.Google Scholar
- Ling DHO, Bell DA, Modelling Time in Database Systems, to appear in The Computer Journal, 1991.Google Scholar
- Shoshani A, Kawagoe K, Temporal Data Management, Proc 12th Int. Conf. Very Large Data Bases, Kyoto, Japan, (Aug 1986) pp 79–88.Google Scholar
- Snodgrass R, Ahn I, A Taxonomy of Time in Databases, Proc ACM-SIGMOD Int. Conf. Management of Data, Austin, USA, (May 1985) pp 236–246.Google Scholar
- Segev A, Gunadhi H, Event-join Optimisation in Temporal Relational Databases, Proc 11th Int. Conf. Very Large Data Bases, Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Sep 1989) pp 205–216.Google Scholar
- Ling DHO, Query Execution and Temporal Support in a Distributed Database System, PhD Thesis, University of Ulster, Jordanstown, UK (Jul 1988).Google Scholar