ZnS-like Behaviour of Efficient CaS:Eu Electroluminescent Devices
The mechanism of high field a.c. driven electroluminescence (EL) in MISIM structures (M-etal, I-nsulator, S-emiconductor) is rather well-understood in the case of S = ZnS:Mn [1, 2, 3, 4, 5]. Operation of these devices comprise as the main processes the tunnel emission of electrons from the interfaces between the I- and the S-films only at fields above the ballistic acceleration threshold, the ballistic accceleration of these electrons, their multiplication after reaching kinetic energies of about 7eV, and of course the direct impact excitation of Mn2+. One important prerequisite of the first mentioned process is the existence of deep enough interface states of appropriate density (IF-DOS) [eV-1cm-2], into which the multiplied electrons are trapped after reaching the momentary anode, before the polarization field surges them back into the bulk after the end of the applied field pulse.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- /1/.T. Inoguchi, S. Mito, Springer Topics in Appl. Phys. 17, 197 (1977).Google Scholar
- /5/.G.O. Mueller, SID Seminar Lecture Notes, New Orleans, USA, 1987.Google Scholar
- /6/.H. Schade, Proc. 3rd. EL Workshop, Kah Nee Ta, Oregon, 1986.Google Scholar
- /7/.R.S. Crandall, Proc. 3rd. EL Workshop, Kah Nee Ta, Oregon, 1986.Google Scholar
- /8/.B. Tsujiama, Y. Tamura, J. Ohwaki, H. Kozawaguchi, SID 86 Digest, p. 37.Google Scholar
- /9/.C. Gonzalez, Eurodisplay 1987, p. 21.Google Scholar
- /10/.S. Tamaka, H. Yoshiyama, Y. Mikami, J. Nishiura, S. Oshio, H. Kobayashi, Japan Display 86 Digest, p. 242.Google Scholar
- /11/.V. Singh, D.C. Morton, SID 88 Digest, p. 27.Google Scholar
- /13/.S. Tomaka, H. Yoshiyama, Appl. Phys. Lett 50 (3), 1987, 119.Google Scholar
- /14/.H. Ohnishi, Y. Katayama, Proc. 3rd EL Workshop, Kah Nee Ta 1986.Google Scholar
- /15/.H. Ohnishi, R. Iwase, Y. Yamasak, SID 88 Digest, p. 289.Google Scholar
- /16/.G.O. Mueller, R. Mach, Proc. of the 17th ICPS, 647 (1985).Google Scholar